RedLine Engine Knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhiteStar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i was about to post my cold start this am. i posted about this exact issue in the syn oil thread. last winter i switched over to redline 5w30 and had no issues, down to 15 below. now this winter im having loud start up chatter. never this loud before. i changed the oil 1000 or so miles ago with a good uoa. same redline 5w30 and rp 20820 as before. i was thinking cold combined with redlines plateability. not sure what i want to do. dont really want to go to all 5w20. maybe half and half. mine is a 2014 with 78k miles.

start up this morning 21 degrees out

That sounds like piston slap and it doesn't matter what oil you have, it isn't going to stop that.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truck sat since Friday evening. Temp was low to mid 30s until this morning when I started it at about 39 degrees.

I didnt video it but the startup was as quiet as our Lexus or Infiniti. Quite impressive, actually.

Still thinking the SRT filter is the key, at least for my engine.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It's not the oil you're using, it's the QC of the Hemi engine. Here's mine with 6K mile after the dealer did an oil change.

Does yours do that at every cold start? Thats what mines sounds like at times but not every cold start, maybe a little lower volume also but that could just be the video.
QC meaning quality control?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I started mine for the first time in several weeks this past saturday, no tick and nice and quiet - this is with a Napa Platinum short filter. 5 qts PP 5w-20, 2 qts Redline 0w-30.

With the Mopar stock short filter, I got the start lifter tick quite often - also dealer blend oil on this change. Really started to be consistent after 2-3000 miles (all put on in 1 week) on this oil change.

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's not the oil you're using, it's the QC of the Hemi engine. Here's mine with 6K mile after the dealer did an oil change.

My 2015 does this, but the only pattern is that it makes that exact noise if I start it then shut it off within a couple of minutes. It will then make the noise the next time it starts. For instance, I need to move my truck from my driveway to the street or vice versa. The next time I start it, it makes almost that exact noise.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2015 does this, but the only pattern is that it makes that exact noise if I start it then shut it off within a couple of minutes. It will then make the noise the next time it starts. For instance, I need to move my truck from my driveway to the street or vice versa. The next time I start it, it makes almost that exact noise.

My 2017 does the same thing as HAS done it since basically new.

Recently switched to the SRT oil filter and the problem has not occurred again. Granted, I avoid the "move to other side of driveway" situation, but the couple times Ive had to do it, the next start was as quiet as the others.

Grizzly Adams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Mine does this as well (a 17'). Very annoying ...

Grizzly Adams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Would seem not an oil filter issue then - maybe a computer issue? Seems they would have fixed that by now?

CMV157

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got a 6.4 and run Amsoil 0w40 with an Amsoil filter. The only thing mine does is maybe 1 out of 10 starts it will have the startup tick. It lasts for 1-3 seconds only. My belief is the lifters bleed down a little when it sits sometimes. I'm not positive an oil could prevent that but I am going to switch to Redline 0w40 next time, use the same filter, and see what happens. If it continues I'll throw the SRT filter into the mix at some point. The one thing I'm very happy about is the engine is super quiet after the 1-3 second tick at startup. So if nothing gets rid of the tick, I'll likely settle back to Amsoil.

sequoia464

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have an appointment with the dealer, my 2017 (27K miles) is starting to do this as well. I also have the tick going on occasionally. This is in So. California, no cold temps that come into play.

Looks like I need to reconsider my oil change routine as well, the dealer has been doing the changes with whatever semi-synthetic they have.

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
What is the SRT filter part numbe ?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have an appointment with the dealer, my 2017 (27K miles) is starting to do this as well. I also have the tick going on occasionally. This is in So. California, no cold temps that come into play.

Looks like I need to reconsider my oil change routine as well, the dealer has been doing the changes with whatever semi-synthetic they have.

Look into hemi tick lubrication, some oils are built different, some additives are as well, the forum has good result with molybdenum oils and additives. Look into high flow filters as well. And first of all look at exhaust bolts, hemi tick is 50/50 either bolts or lifters, they can both sound the same.

weldguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you mix small marbles and large marbles, you don't get medium marbles.

Ron Rudolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi etorqe
I've had the same issue. I switched to Red Line on two 5.7 Hemi's One in a Jeep Grand Cherokee and the other in my 2019 Ram after reading all the good discussion on this website.. Knocks that were not there before when cold start up is pretty loud. I also installed the Royal Purple filters. I had been running Mobile 1 in the Jeep which now has 57,000 miles on it. The Ram is new, with now 12,000 miles and the 2nd oil change, I change every 5,000 to 6,000 miles. The knock is disconcerting. I've done some research and Amsoil has some great reviews on line and on youtube videos. I'm going to dump the Redline and put in Amsoil, which you can get direct from the factory. Hopefully that stops the knock that is now there. If not, I'll go back to Mobile 1. Don't want to take any chance of damaging the engines.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I've had the same issue. I switched to Red Line on two 5.7 Hemi's One in a Jeep Grand Cherokee and the other in my 2019 Ram after reading all the good discussion on this website.. Knocks that were not there before when cold start up is pretty loud. I also installed the Royal Purple filters. I had been running Mobile 1 in the Jeep which now has 57,000 miles on it. The Ram is new, with now 12,000 miles and the 2nd oil change, I change every 5,000 to 6,000 miles. The knock is disconcerting. I've done some research and Amsoil has some great reviews on line and on youtube videos. I'm going to dump the Redline and put in Amsoil, which you can get direct from the factory. Hopefully that stops the knock that is now there. If not, I'll go back to Mobile 1. Don't want to take any chance of damaging the engines.

There is two issues, cold piston slap and hemi warm idle tick, and well a third issue dry starts. If you live in a cold state, run 0 weight oil, that is what it is for. Every "redline" guy is finding this out, hemi395, U&A, 16ramhemi, etc. If you want to address the other two issues, then try a formula built for that. You can have both things, cold weather performance and extreme pressure and dry start performance, just use a 0w30 or 0w20 with high aw/ep additives. So if you try Amsoil, I would go for 0w30 or 0w20 to give you the best shot at piston slap, how that does with hemi tick might be another discussion. Just something hemi owners have to consider, because one thing is for sure, it is the hemi design that is the culprit. If you deviate from redline, otc 0w20 oils that carry porsche and mercedes stay in grade specs is what you will want due to pao content of those oils.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I couldn't run 5-30 in my 2016 - it would give a funny buck/knock on startup, felt like it was during the cam sweep stage. 5-20 fixed it. I now run 5 qts 5w-20 and 2 qts 0w30 with no problem.
Why?? Just use good 5W-20 and you'll be just fine.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why?? Just use good 5W-20 and you'll be just fine.

I like the 30 for towing in the summer and usually I am not running 7 qts of Redline.
I tend to change the oil every 4000-6000 miles - which are generally put on within a 2 week span.
The 0w-30 gives me a bit more moly, I guess I could just use 5w-20 Redline but I have a few gallons of the 0w-30.
I would probably run all 7 qts 0w-30 but it is harder to find on sale vs. 5W-20.
Generally I run the PP (not PUP) or Quaker state 5w-20.

Towing the boat @ 70 mph for 1800 miles is hard on the oil and 5w-20 is really thin when hot.