Snow in North Texas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m on a vacation with my family (from snowy NY), we left Bryan TX yesterday at 7am and got to Nashville around 11pm. Got to use my cruise control for all of 5 minutes of that. Worst drive of my life, took a good 7 hours to get from Bryan to Texarkana going 20-30 mph at most on either icy roads or sheets of ice roads. Didn’t get much better in Arkansas or Tennessee. This weather has been following us our entire trip, here’s a breakdown:

Leaving NY we had a couple of inches on the highways through western NY, into PA and northern OH.

Cincinnati got their biggest snow storm in 12 years, overnight before our departure the next morning.

Memphis had a real nice ice storm overnight before our departure the next morning (see a pattern?). Got stuck in Arkansas for a few hours dealing with that, and once in Texas was dealing with pouring rain right around freezing temp. This was the same day as the big pile up in Fort Worth. I was hoping this would be the worst travel day buttttt....

We left Bryan a day early, hoping to get out ahead out the storms that would be hitting that day (originally supposed to be hitting the next day). The night before we left there was a warning for a glaze of ice on the roads...well it was a little bit more than that. After taking 7 hours for what should have been half that, Arkansas and Tennessee had freezing rain into snow for our entire trip. 16 hours of driving through hell. Since we left Texas a day early, I had to get another Airbnb for one night until we can go to the one we originally booked. We are currently at the first Airbnb, waiting until check in for our next (and the current hosts are being very nice offering us to stay here until that time). The weather is currently freezing rain pretty hard, on already really icy roads from what I can tell. Really hoping it switches over to snow before we go back out in this.

And let me tell you all, it’s not looking good for the rest of our trip, unless we want to stay here for a full week. We’ve had a great time as a family in the places we have been, but the travel has been like something out of a movie. Our original plan was to go to Cleveland next and stay a few days, at this point if I could get more than half our trip home without absolute **** weather, I’d do a straight shot home. That’s not looking good though, so more than likely we will have 2 more travel days to deal with awful weather, with a stop in Cleveland.

To top this all off, the whole reason we went to Bryan TX in the first place, was to take my gf’s daughter to a invitational softball combine. We were about 60 miles away from
Bryan when the text came in that the event was cancelled. That was the quietest part of our trip, by a deafening long shot. We have made the most of it and have still been able to have a really great time and make some great memories...but man I could really use a break from this weather! Kicker is it will be back in the 70s soon in Texas. We had one day where it got to 40 this entire trip.

Sorry for the long story, it has been a ridiculous journey! Here’s a picture I took after finally getting out of TX. Truck was garaged the night before so this was all from being on the road.F7A327B6-76BD-4FCF-B322-FF4B8256B514.jpeg

MSgtZ

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Looks like I might have to take mine out here in Bandera County if my daughter and her family can't get propane for their trailer. Part of the reason for moving to Texas was to get away from this kind of mess we got use to in NJ and MD in the winter (I am originally from CT, so use to it but HATE IT!). Everyone stay safe and warm.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
These rolling blackouts are awful. We have Tri County and some people in our area have not lost power, we are on 30-60 minutes on/off and then others are completely without power. We are currently in our on time. We only got about 4-5 inches. I didn't have our chimney cleaned and I am really regretting that. I have wood. I am little worried about starting a fire.

IMG_0692.JPG

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m on a vacation with my family (from snowy NY), we left Bryan TX yesterday at 7am and got to Nashville around 11pm. Got to use my cruise control for all of 5 minutes of that. Worst drive of my life, took a good 7 hours to get from Bryan to Texarkana going 20-30 mph at most on either icy roads or sheets of ice roads. Didn’t get much better in Arkansas or Tennessee. This weather has been following us our entire trip, here’s a breakdown:

Leaving NY we had a couple of inches on the highways through western NY, into PA and northern OH.

Cincinnati got their biggest snow storm in 12 years, overnight before our departure the next morning.

Memphis had a real nice ice storm overnight before our departure the next morning (see a pattern?). Got stuck in Arkansas for a few hours dealing with that, and once in Texas was dealing with pouring rain right around freezing temp. This was the same day as the big pile up in Fort Worth. I was hoping this would be the worst travel day buttttt....

We left Bryan a day early, hoping to get out ahead out the storms that would be hitting that day (originally supposed to be hitting the next day). The night before we left there was a warning for a glaze of ice on the roads...well it was a little bit more than that. After taking 7 hours for what should have been half that, Arkansas and Tennessee had freezing rain into snow for our entire trip. 16 hours of driving through hell. Since we left Texas a day early, I had to get another Airbnb for one night until we can go to the one we originally booked. We are currently at the first Airbnb, waiting until check in for our next (and the current hosts are being very nice offering us to stay here until that time). The weather is currently freezing rain pretty hard, on already really icy roads from what I can tell. Really hoping it switches over to snow before we go back out in this.

And let me tell you all, it’s not looking good for the rest of our trip, unless we want to stay here for a full week. We’ve had a great time as a family in the places we have been, but the travel has been like something out of a movie. Our original plan was to go to Cleveland next and stay a few days, at this point if I could get more than half our trip home without absolute **** weather, I’d do a straight shot home. That’s not looking good though, so more than likely we will have 2 more travel days to deal with awful weather, with a stop in Cleveland.

To top this all off, the whole reason we went to Bryan TX in the first place, was to take my gf’s daughter to a invitational softball combine. We were about 60 miles away from
Bryan when the text came in that the event was cancelled. That was the quietest part of our trip, by a deafening long shot. We have made the most of it and have still been able to have a really great time and make some great memories...but man I could really use a break from this weather! Kicker is it will be back in the 70s soon in Texas. We had one day where it got to 40 this entire trip.

Sorry for the long story, it has been a ridiculous journey! Here’s a picture I took after finally getting out of TX. Truck was garaged the night before so this was all from being on the road.View attachment 237723

Be safe! Roads are awful...

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Whatever you guys end up with down in Texas, BE CAREFUL! Even in seasoned snow areas, the first real storm brings out the idiots that think 4 wheel drive also means you have 4 wheel STOP. There is NO 4 WHEEL STOP. Stay indoors, stay off the road, leave the clean up to the professionals.

I agree, plus 4WD/AWD is no match for slick, icy roads.

We are in for about 6 inches in northern TN with a combination of ice thrown in.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Be safe! Roads are awful...

Thanks! Yes the roads have been really bad, I’ve driven in plenty of snow and ice but this has been a little much. I will give my full endorsement to the falken wildpeaks I have on my truck. Great tires, couldn’t imagine driving with an all season through all of that.

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, went to work today (McKinney, TX) and the roads are obviously snow-packed, and will remain so until it melts. Anyway... coming home, this guy pulls up next to me in this super high-lifted F150, and he can't pull away from the stoplight. Dude has a 2-wheel drive truck with all that lift stuff. All show and no go! I was embarrassed for him as I pulled away in my stock FWD Ram.

Crazy Horse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Worse part is the unseasonable cold. Wind chill isn't something to tangle with when out and about.

Just thought I'd mention pets when the thermometer drops. Their feet will freeze if they're out very long. You Texans stay safe and ride it out. Spring ain't too far off now.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Sorry for the long story, it has been a ridiculous journey! Here’s a picture I took after finally getting out of TX. Truck was garaged the night before so this was all from being on the road.View attachment 237723
I live in east texas about 70 miles south of Texarkana and today is Feb. 15th and we have 9 1 /2 inches of snow and early this morning it was 9 degrees. The prediction for the 17th will be more snow and 12 degrees. I've lived here all my life and as far as I can remember this is the 3rd coldest I've seen whit snow like this and I'm almost 69 years old. I'm wondering where that global warming is Lol !

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I live in east texas about 70 miles south of Texarkana and today is Feb. 15th and we have 9 1 /2 inches of snow and early this morning it was 9 degrees. The prediction for the 17th will be more snow and 12 degrees. I've lived here all my life and as far as I can remember this is the 3rd coldest I've seen whit snow like this and I'm almost 69 years old. I'm wondering where that global warming is Lol !

Sounds like we missed even more fun, although I would have rather driven in snow over ice. 9 1/2 inches is a pretty good amount, it’s been a crazy winter. We had a storm in December that dropped nearly 4 feet in about 18 hours.

Hope you guys get back to normal weather quickly!

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Here in Northeast Ohio, I just cleared my driveway, 90 X 70 feet, In about 2 hours with the snowblower. Six to eight inches in most spots. Deeper in some. Lots of wind with it so the car and truck outside weren't covered too much. Getting ready for work now, welcome to WINTER! By the way, Pitchers and Catchers report for Spring Training on Friday!

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am having issues with not only the pipes, but the heater is working when it wants to. Either A we are going to a hotel or B hoping it warms up and we can get it working again.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Day 2 with no running water. But thank GOD we haven't lost power yet.

Below pic was on monday. 6198daf76484da8a3bb3f59d0db75fcf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Very nice looking dog! Hope your power stays on and you get water back soon. I guess I’m glad we got out when we did.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Day 2 with no running water. But thank GOD we haven't lost power yet.

Below pic was on monday. 6198daf76484da8a3bb3f59d0db75fcf.jpg

We are under a boil water effect. Our last power outage was 1.5 hours ago. Our water is not working. Hopefully you don't lose power and your water comes back on. This really sucks.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
We are under a boil water effect. Our last power outage was 1.5 hours ago. Our water is not working. Hopefully you don't lose power and your water comes back on. This really sucks.
Good luck bud. I have plenty of bottled water. So consider myself lucky.

But yeah if we had more places to off roqd around maybe I wouldn't be as bored. Because this blows donkey balls

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a field behind my house that belongs to HEB. I am sure they wouldn't mind lol. I always grab a pack or two of winco water, because its a good deal. We luckily have that. I have my faucets on a slow drip. The only one that still hasnt defrosted is the kitchen. Its starting to drop a drop of water every minute or so. You might try that. I have a space heater with the cabinet doors open in the kitchen and the rest of them are open as well.