Snow in North Texas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like the snow and ice are behind us. Now we just have to wait for it all to melt!

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Looks like 50s and 60s coming there. I hope all affected can get things cleaned up and back to some sense of normal soon.

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
back to some sense of normal soon.

The entire country has been saying that a lot the past few years, and yet it never seems to work out LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like the snow and ice are behind us. Now we just have to wait for it all to melt!

I can't wait for it to melt. I have to go to Rockwall on Friday afternoon. I hope that it clears up.

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
I'd say by now you guys are acclimated to this colder weather and when 50° rolls around this weekend you'll be wearing flip flops and tank tops!

Hang in there!

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
I'd say by now you guys are acclimated to this colder weather and when 50° rolls around this weekend you'll be wearing flip flops and tank tops!

Hang in there!

I bet you’re right.. walking out today with a high of 25 actually felt pretty comfortable. A whole lot better than the single digits we’ve had for the past week lol

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
I bet you’re right.. walking out today with a high of 25 actually felt pretty comfortable. A whole lot better than the single digits we’ve had for the past week lol

Ha!

Yeah the wife and I always laugh in early Spring out here when the high is just reaching 50 degrees and we find ourselves lowering the windows when driving or turning on the AC.

DT

TOTALCHAOS69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m on a vacation with my family (from snowy NY), we left Bryan TX yesterday at 7am and got to Nashville around 11pm. Got to use my cruise control for all of 5 minutes of that. Worst drive of my life, took a good 7 hours to get from Bryan to Texarkana going 20-30 mph at most on either icy roads or sheets of ice roads. Didn’t get much better in Arkansas or Tennessee. This weather has been following us our entire trip, here’s a breakdown:

Leaving NY we had a couple of inches on the highways through western NY, into PA and northern OH.

Cincinnati got their biggest snow storm in 12 years, overnight before our departure the next morning.

Memphis had a real nice ice storm overnight before our departure the next morning (see a pattern?). Got stuck in Arkansas for a few hours dealing with that, and once in Texas was dealing with pouring rain right around freezing temp. This was the same day as the big pile up in Fort Worth. I was hoping this would be the worst travel day buttttt....

We left Bryan a day early, hoping to get out ahead out the storms that would be hitting that day (originally supposed to be hitting the next day). The night before we left there was a warning for a glaze of ice on the roads...well it was a little bit more than that. After taking 7 hours for what should have been half that, Arkansas and Tennessee had freezing rain into snow for our entire trip. 16 hours of driving through hell. Since we left Texas a day early, I had to get another Airbnb for one night until we can go to the one we originally booked. We are currently at the first Airbnb, waiting until check in for our next (and the current hosts are being very nice offering us to stay here until that time). The weather is currently freezing rain pretty hard, on already really icy roads from what I can tell. Really hoping it switches over to snow before we go back out in this.

And let me tell you all, it’s not looking good for the rest of our trip, unless we want to stay here for a full week. We’ve had a great time as a family in the places we have been, but the travel has been like something out of a movie. Our original plan was to go to Cleveland next and stay a few days, at this point if I could get more than half our trip home without absolute **** weather, I’d do a straight shot home. That’s not looking good though, so more than likely we will have 2 more travel days to deal with awful weather, with a stop in Cleveland.

To top this all off, the whole reason we went to Bryan TX in the first place, was to take my gf’s daughter to a invitational softball combine. We were about 60 miles away from
Bryan when the text came in that the event was cancelled. That was the quietest part of our trip, by a deafening long shot. We have made the most of it and have still been able to have a really great time and make some great memories...but man I could really use a break from this weather! Kicker is it will be back in the 70s soon in Texas. We had one day where it got to 40 this entire trip.

Sorry for the long story, it has been a ridiculous journey! Here’s a picture I took after finally getting out of TX. Truck was garaged the night before so this was all from being on the road.View attachment 237723

I’m in Arkansas... 50 miles nw of Memphis. I’m loving it. Pulled a dozen or so folks outta ditches or a couple we’re not even a foot from pavement. Icy pavement. It rarely does this here!D8D4A21A-0AF6-4C2D-9131-89E47945A9A0.jpeg

Last edited:

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
A wise investment is a portable generator placed outdoors of course so it doesn't kill you. If you want to go fancy you can get a static switch which will isolate the generator when the house power comes back on. You can wrap your pipes with heat trace cable to prevent them freezing. Lived most of my life in Northern Ontario where minus 50 is not unusual. Retired from gold mining in 2014 where the lakes froze 4 feet and didn't thaw out until the end of May.

I agree with the portable generator/inverter. I have a dual fuel Champion and it works great during hurricane at the beach.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like we missed even more fun, although I would have rather driven in snow over ice. 9 1/2 inches is a pretty good amount, it’s been a crazy winter. We had a storm in December that dropped nearly 4 feet in about 18 hours.

Hope you guys get back to normal weather quickly!
Hope you and your family get back to New York safely and I will be happy when we get back to Normal Texas weather I don't think I would like living in the North in the winter months!

LeeD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So you’re the one who brought this weather to Texas!! You at least could have taken it back to NY with you when you left!
Of course I’m just kidding and hope you make it back home safely.

Dgriffi2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I wonder if we’ll see municipalities in the south investing in cold weather equipment and snow plows/salters, as weather gets more severe and unpredictable? This may be a dumb question but do homes in Texas for example even have furnaces? I saw some heart breaking footage on the news last night of water damage due to pipes bursting.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Our power finally came back on. I had what I thought was a thermostat out. I replaced it, but still no actual hot heat. Had a HVAC guy out this morning and the power flucuations fried the two breakers in the heating unit. So we are currently at 52* and waiting to figure out if it can be fixed today or tomorrow. We are very lucky we didn't have a fire. They were arcing.

Jim Ballantyne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Your point is? Just kidding, I know it must be tough in Texas right now with the snow and cold. Yesterday the Western Area Power Administration cut our power for 45 minutes unannounced because of power grid overloads attributed to Texas and other Southern states not having enough power.

I guess that is a small price to pay to help but the high temp yesterday in North Dakota where I live was a -19 and wind chills of -47. The answer is not more solar panels and windmills, they provide zero help in the dead of winter. We need more coal, oil, and gas fired plants to handle peak loading for events such as extreme hot and cold days. As an added note, the power generation and power grids will be even more overloaded as more electric vehicles become common. The electric power replacing gas and diesel have to come from somewhere.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Your point is? Just kidding, I know it must be tough in Texas right now with the snow and cold. Yesterday the Western Area Power Administration cut our power for 45 minutes unannounced because of power grid overloads attributed to Texas and other Southern states not having enough power.

I guess that is a small price to pay to help but the high temp yesterday in North Dakota where I live was a -19 and wind chills of -47. The answer is not more solar panels and windmills, they provide zero help in the dead of winter. We need more coal, oil, and gas fired plants to handle peak loading for events such as extreme hot and cold days. As an added note, the power generation and power grids will be even more overloaded as more electric vehicles become common. The electric power replacing gas and diesel have to come from somewhere.

Except it is the gas lines that have the freezing valves etc. Solar is still generating.

SirScottie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys, that's not Snow.... that's DUST! Were looking at 8 to 12 inches tomorrow. THAT'S SNOW!

i remember a few Alaskan winters where we got over 3 feet of snow overnight. Only takes one time to learn to keep your shovels indoors.

This year, where i now live, in Washington State, we got about a foot - just enough to keep most other people off the roads.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
It pays to be prepared for the severest weather your locality can ever dish out. When we built our house in upstate NY we installed a 1000 gallon propane tank, a generator and propane gas fired furnaces and appliances. In 10 years we have never been frozen out of our house, despite several power free weeks. We live far from a city on a road that can be unplowed for a few days.

But since Monday we have been slowly heading down to Padre Island National Seashore with our 22 foot trailer camper. We left NY Monday before a snowstorm. It was salted roads, truck and camper, snow and then rain all the way to Natural Bridge VA for our first 2 night stopover. But at Natural Bridge we woke to warm sun and got a long hike in before the cold front following us rolled in. The next morning it had dropped to 13F as we left for Cumberland Gap. It was cold but we had a nice day of clear driving. When we got to the Gap we realized we had outrun the front once again. It was nice, temps in the 40s, clear and calm. Then the slush and sleet came last night. Ugh. Cumberland Gap Park roads closed, fog and more rain and more dropping temperatures tonight...

We are leaving tomorrow for Mammoth Cave National Park and again more cold weather. At least the hike will be in a cave! Then we head down the Natchez Trace on Monday and Tuesday. We had planned on staying in a Texas State Park, but Texas called and cancelled our reservation at Martin Dies State Park. The power ISN'T EXPECTED TO BE BACK BEFORE THE 22ND!!! WTF Texas Power? We thought ours was bad, but National GrEEd seems awfully well run in comparison! So I had to book at a KOA nearby. I don't need power.... But now glad I have an insulated camper underbelly, heaters on the water tanks, lots of propane and a generator. So far we have been refilling the water tanks as needed at the campsites we've hit.

Please, when we get to PINS, can someone turn the sun back on?