Snow in North Texas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Day 2 with no running water. But thank GOD we haven't lost power yet.

Below pic was on monday. 6198daf76484da8a3bb3f59d0db75fcf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Well, you have the right dog for this kind of weather!

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
We’ve been lucky so far, we’ve kept heaters on pipes, the well, and kept all the faucets dripping. Getting down to 10 below and haven’t had any froze or busted pipes yet. If we get hit by one of those rolling blackouts that could change.

Truck hates starting in this cold but these new tires combined with a little weight thrown in the bed is handling the snow well. We have about 4-5” inches with the bigger drifts approaching 2 feet. Its kinda funny seeing all these 4x4 trucks with highway treads struggling and spinning out and my 2x4 rolling through the same area with no issue

0743a660efb5646e4953d5fdc3b6d40e.jpg

All this rolling blackout stuff is stupid. Putting peoples lives in danger because these power companies were completely unprepared in every aspect. At the very least a robo-call from the power company giving homes a 1-hour warning of their electric being cut out, but nope. Just cold-turkey turn off the lights in thousands of homes with no warning. Absolutely ridiculous

Look like were in a hotspot for this next storm here in SE OK, so probably gonna get 8+ more inches of snow tonight. They’re predicting high 50’s next week and I think I’m gonna bust out the fold-out chair and tanning lotion lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Unfortunately there are not a lot of good inexpensive options for handling once in 10 or 20 year peaks in winter electric demand. It is a bit easier in summer since the auxiliary plants aren't suffering from cold induced issues like frozen water intakes, lines, etc. The problem with winter power generation is it would be very expensive to winterize every power plant to keep supply capacity up to the same level as summer. Building more plants ain't cheap either.

Technology upgrades to better inform customers is relatively inexpensive compared to plant upgrades. However many folks either never enter their emergency information or keep it updated which reduces the effectiveness of "early warning" systems. Any of these upgrades would probably result in higher electric costs which are never popular.

Though I suppose they might be an easier sell when people are freezing their asses off. Of course that "good will" only lasts until spring. ;-)

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Abbot our governor is hot at ercot. He is going to investigate them.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was thinking today that here in the Northern States were hardly ever affected by winter power outages the way all of you are. But on the other hand, I can't imagine what we would do up here if the weather was 110 degrees every day for a week or ten days. We'd be looking at rolling blackouts, and screaming for someone's head on a platter... We all bear a cross a little differently. I'll keep praying for ya'all.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I am having issues with not only the pipes, but the heater is working when it wants to. Either A we are going to a hotel or B hoping it warms up and we can get it working again.
What type of heater? And what's it not doing?

JimmyA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I’m on a vacation with my family (from snowy NY), we left Bryan TX yesterday at 7am and got to Nashville around 11pm. Got to use my cruise control for all of 5 minutes of that. Worst drive of my life, took a good 7 hours to get from Bryan to Texarkana going 20-30 mph at most on either icy roads or sheets of ice roads. Didn’t get much better in Arkansas or Tennessee. This weather has been following us our entire trip, here’s a breakdown:

Leaving NY we had a couple of inches on the highways through western NY, into PA and northern OH.

Cincinnati got their biggest snow storm in 12 years, overnight before our departure the next morning.

Memphis had a real nice ice storm overnight before our departure the next morning (see a pattern?). Got stuck in Arkansas for a few hours dealing with that, and once in Texas was dealing with pouring rain right around freezing temp. This was the same day as the big pile up in Fort Worth. I was hoping this would be the worst travel day buttttt....

We left Bryan a day early, hoping to get out ahead out the storms that would be hitting that day (originally supposed to be hitting the next day). The night before we left there was a warning for a glaze of ice on the roads...well it was a little bit more than that. After taking 7 hours for what should have been half that, Arkansas and Tennessee had freezing rain into snow for our entire trip. 16 hours of driving through hell. Since we left Texas a day early, I had to get another Airbnb for one night until we can go to the one we originally booked. We are currently at the first Airbnb, waiting until check in for our next (and the current hosts are being very nice offering us to stay here until that time). The weather is currently freezing rain pretty hard, on already really icy roads from what I can tell. Really hoping it switches over to snow before we go back out in this.

And let me tell you all, it’s not looking good for the rest of our trip, unless we want to stay here for a full week. We’ve had a great time as a family in the places we have been, but the travel has been like something out of a movie. Our original plan was to go to Cleveland next and stay a few days, at this point if I could get more than half our trip home without absolute **** weather, I’d do a straight shot home. That’s not looking good though, so more than likely we will have 2 more travel days to deal with awful weather, with a stop in Cleveland.

To top this all off, the whole reason we went to Bryan TX in the first place, was to take my gf’s daughter to a invitational softball combine. We were about 60 miles away from
Bryan when the text came in that the event was cancelled. That was the quietest part of our trip, by a deafening long shot. We have made the most of it and have still been able to have a really great time and make some great memories...but man I could really use a break from this weather! Kicker is it will be back in the 70s soon in Texas. We had one day where it got to 40 this entire trip.

Sorry for the long story, it has been a ridiculous journey! Here’s a picture I took after finally getting out of TX. Truck was garaged the night before so this was all from being on the road.View attachment 237723
Not quite the vacation that you expected! Chit happens....

JimmyA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I live in east texas about 70 miles south of Texarkana and today is Feb. 15th and we have 9 1 /2 inches of snow and early this morning it was 9 degrees. The prediction for the 17th will be more snow and 12 degrees. I've lived here all my life and as far as I can remember this is the 3rd coldest I've seen whit snow like this and I'm almost 69 years old. I'm wondering where that global warming is Lol !
Same here in New Boston!

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not quite the vacation that you expected! Chit happens....

To say the least yes, driving all the way to Texas for no reason at all wasn’t what I expected. Driving through absolute **** storms? Not my first time by far, but sure as **** wouldn’t mind catching a break for one leg of our trip. Not holding my breathe, just have to keep making miles.

Crazy Horse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A wise investment is a portable generator placed outdoors of course so it doesn't kill you. If you want to go fancy you can get a static switch which will isolate the generator when the house power comes back on. You can wrap your pipes with heat trace cable to prevent them freezing. Lived most of my life in Northern Ontario where minus 50 is not unusual. Retired from gold mining in 2014 where the lakes froze 4 feet and didn't thaw out until the end of May.

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
Unfortunately there are not a lot of good inexpensive options for handling once in 10 or 20 year peaks in winter electric demand. It is a bit easier in summer since the auxiliary plants aren't suffering from cold induced issues like frozen water intakes, lines, etc. The problem with winter power generation is it would be very expensive to winterize every power plant to keep supply capacity up to the same level as summer. Building more plants ain't cheap either.

Technology upgrades to better inform customers is relatively inexpensive compared to plant upgrades. However many folks either never enter their emergency information or keep it updated which reduces the effectiveness of "early warning" systems. Any of these upgrades would probably result in higher electric costs which are never popular.

Though I suppose they might be an easier sell when people are freezing their asses off. Of course that "good will" only lasts until spring. ;-)

Yesh those are some good points. What bothers me is that some power companies are saying we need to turn our home thermostats down to a whopping 60 degrees to conserve energy, and others who require electricity for health-related systems and other important things are getting mercilessly cut off, but we can still power Chesapeake arena in downtown OKC tonight for a Thunder game lol

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Yes, the unequal blackouts seem to be ******* some people off. Like this scene from Houston. The city is all lit up and warm while those outside the city limits are in the dark and freezing. It is even worse in the rural areas where farmers and ranchers are loosing their crops and livestock. So the city folk once again take the resources for themselves and leave the rural folk fend for themselves.

EuUJU-iXAAA6yaq?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

miles01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Us in the great white North (Canada) are use to the cold. No power outages from cold and snow blizzards.
We have been in a cold snap for about 2 weeks now, the warmest day was today when it got up to -14. Been in the -30s at night and low -20s during the day.
It is the summer heat and thunderstorms that kill our power.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Total inches we got here.

IMG_0709.JPG

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Bad down there. I guess a home standby generator doesn't do much good if they cut off the gas supply. Gonna be a lot of damage from this one. Put on lots of clothes down there, and wait it out.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My grandparents lost their heater. I am in the process of clearing the driveway. I am about 90% done.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Driveway is now clear of snow and ice.

6743F4D9-406D-48C4-A1AC-0FBC2D24B84B.jpeg

8C35EA57-8AAE-4AC2-9D9E-51943817F5C3.jpeg

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
Another 8 inches last night. All the drifts from storm 1 are up to about 2-3 foot now. Y’all are more brave than me getting out there lol

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We got another 6 inches last night. That put my total up to 10 inches. I couldn't image that much snow.