Snow in North Texas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hope you and your family get back to New York safely and I will be happy when we get back to Normal Texas weather I don't think I would like living in the North in the winter months!

Thank you! We are in Cleveland now so I feel like we are practically home. One last leg of the trip to go (and the shortest). And yeah you get used to the winters (although never stop complaining about dealing with them), I’d have a real hard time with the Texas heat much of the year, I hate when it gets above 85 here.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m in Arkansas... 50 miles nw of Memphis. I’m loving it. Pulled a dozen or so folks outta ditches or a couple we’re not even a foot from pavement. Icy pavement. It rarely does this here!View attachment 238082

Oh don’t get me wrong, I love driving in the snow back home around my county. Many many adventures out over the years during storms to go drifting and rip some mean donuts, great fun. Driving nearly 800 miles through it in one day though wasn’t nearly as fun.

Glad you’re having a good time in it though and helping some people out! It was truly amazing to see the amount of cars and trucks off the roads or involved in accidents (saw a 18 wheeler today that jack knifed up and over a guard rail). I’ve definitely seen some people who knew how to handle themselves/their vehicles and even saw some people having fun. Just saw tons that looked scared ****less to be out driving in it too.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have to say after driving many different 4x4s over the last 5 decades that this particular truck is the finest in the snow of all of them. Ice, of course, is always a challenge, but we had mostly snow over the last week here in NE Texas. It was a total blast to drive in the bad stuff despite the many 'maroons' I had to avoid. The stock tires on mine are Duratracs and I have nothing but praise for the way they handled the white stuff. Any movement out of the planned boundaries was very easy to correct and not once did it get squirrely. I got out in the snow every day so far going as far as 125 miles round trip to help friends and deliver things for people. We got about 5-6" of snow for those wondering. It was that deep the first morning and I have a steep run up to the road from my long driveway, but it was no problem even at a slow speed.

Mad props to Ram!

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So you’re the one who brought this weather to Texas!! You at least could have taken it back to NY with you when you left!
Of course I’m just kidding and hope you make it back home safely.

Haha yeah sorry about that, although we dragged a lot back with us too! Thanks for your well wishes and we hope that you guys get back to normal down there real quick!

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What type of heater? And what's it not doing?

That is the service breakers in the heater in the attic. It got ice in them and the constant on and off of the power had them arcing. We were very lucky it didn't catch on fire.

IMG_0716.JPG

IMG_0717.JPG

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
That is the service breakers in the heater in the attic. It got ice in them and the constant on and off of the power had them arcing. We were very lucky it didn't catch on fire.
Yeah electricity and water usually don't play nice..lol
Good to hear nothing caught fire and hope your staying warm!

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I wonder if we’ll see municipalities in the south investing in cold weather equipment and snow plows/salters, as weather gets more severe and unpredictable? This may be a dumb question but do homes in Texas for example even have furnaces? I saw some heart breaking footage on the news last night of water damage due to pipes bursting.

all the larger cities here in north Texas have that stuff already..texdot has hundreds of sanding/brine trucks and the cities plow and treat all the main roads but we dont have guys that go thru the neighborhoods and get all the streets clear like up north. there are hundreds of thousands of miles of roads here and they only try to keep a small % open..we do seem to have a large number of crazy folks that immediately run out to the freeway and skid into a wreck that clogs things up for hours. and yes..homes have furnaces down here..ours is gas fired and cheap to run but still takes electricity for the fan and ignition..we survived with our gas fireplace and 6 burner gas cooktop going..got down to 0* one morning but never below 60* in the house. we snow ski so have plenty of warm gear and did fine. it's really the "green stuff" that caused the problems. we have the most wind turbines and many shut down because of icing and the large solar panel farms in west texas were covered with snow. if we still had all the old generation plants online we would have probably been fine. we also dont get 200 continuous hours of extreme low temps very often so it was a combination of things that knocked us for a loop.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah electricity and water usually don't play nice..lol
Good to hear nothing caught fire and hope your staying warm!
No they don't lol. We got lucky for sure. The house is finally warm. We started our day yesterday at 51*

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I have been reading in the news about some folks in TX keeping the lights on in their homes with the generators in the back of their blue oval trucks just curious what guys think of the concept of an onboard generator if we'll see something like that come to a RAM.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I have been reading in the news about some folks in TX keeping the lights on in their homes with the generators in the back of their blue oval trucks just curious what guys think of the concept of an onboard generator if we'll see something like that come to a RAM.

dont personally know anyone that has a new f..d truck with the optional 2000w built-in generator..but saw that story on the web. nice option..dont know what it costs but would be handy. not a good enough reason for me to buy the truck tho. I used a 5550w gas generator to keep my 2 fridges going and charge our phones and keep a small heater going under the tarped over pool equipment.

Last edited:

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would like to see Dodge do something like this. I am surprised that Dodge didn't do it first.

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wonder how much weight a generator like that adds to the truck.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Our peek day here was 153.xx I did the math earlier. So I am looking at about a 3xx.xx bill. Not as insane as others, but definitely double. We have Tri County.