DIY: 2013-2017 RA3/RA4 8.4" Radio Upgrade/HVAC Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I'm starting to gather all of the items needed to upgrade my 2018 3500 Tradesman 5.0 radio to the UAQ NAV radio. I ordered a used bezel with the one zone HVAC but have a question in regards to volume control. Is there a harness to buy that allows the volume control button to work once you upgrade? I don't have the steering controls and that looks like a huge PITA to install. It looks like Infotainment has a harness to get it working but I know they are way overpriced. Thanks for the help.
I replied to your email with all the details.

You have to do the 8.4 4 speed HVAC/fan conversion using 2018 HVAC module, USB Hub/hub harness upgrade, and you will likely need to add Single Zone ATC to fix the Temp blend door issues with the UAx Upgrade (50/50 on the 18's & classic).
The conversion harness will have the correct harness pigtail for the new bezel (& ATC) to make all it's controls work.

NJ_TN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have an aftermarket alpine media player in my 2017 1500. I also have an aftermarket backup camera in the truck bed handle. I originally had an RA2 I believe (it’s the 5 inch one without backup camera). I have the 7 speed fan. I’m wanting to switch back to a stock look and go with the RA4, so I have a couple questions.

1)What’s the average total cost to switch to an RA4?
2) Will I be able to plug my aftermarket backup camera into the back of the RA4?

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
I have an aftermarket alpine media player in my 2017 1500. I also have an aftermarket backup camera in the truck bed handle. I originally had an RA2 I believe (it’s the 5 inch one without backup camera). I have the 7 speed fan. I’m wanting to switch back to a stock look and go with the RA4, so I have a couple questions.

2) Will I be able to plug my aftermarket backup camera into the back of the RA4?
I’m in the middle of gathering all supplies to do this for my 2018 3500. So far I have spent 100$ on used bezel and the other costs look to be:

1300$ for the radio unit (new from MOPAR) but I’ve seen used ones for around 1100$ on eBay
440$ ish for wiring/HVAC upgrade (you might not need the HVAC upgrade)
150$ ish for new media hub/temperature sensor

So probably around 2K$ would be my estimate. I’m gonna wait it out and try to someone selling a used radio to get cost down some more.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
well done! I've seen a few behind stock trim and they seem fine for the ~$600 cheaper cost, find a used unit on facebook for like $500

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

It really depends on how much of the legwork/time your willing to spend to find the parts yourself vs getting them as a kit. If your okay with a 13-17 RA4 VP4-NA Nav radio vs a 2018/classic 4th gen UAQ or UAS radio (with AA & CP), you can save more money.

1) ~ 2013-17 Ra4 is about $450 - $550
($300-$450 for a non nav Ra3)

~ $125-160+ for a used 8.4 bezel (+$100 for a new one. Single Zone or Dual zone can be used, see post 15)

~ $350 for conversion harness, new HVAC module, and cell error bypass for RAx radio

2) You can add an RCA video pigtail to the factory radio connector to accept your aftermarket BuCam ($25) which requires BuCam sales code to enable the input on the Ra2->Ra4 radio (or via AlfaOBD yourself)

or get an aftermarket camera add-on Module from PAC, Crux, Nav-tv, CustomTronix, etc

-------

If you actual had an ra1 radio without Bluetooth handsfree calling and no mics in the headliner (no phone/VR buttons on wheel) then you will also need to add mics & mic harness to the headliner of you want the handsfree calling to work.

NJ_TN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express
Engine
HEMI 5.7
It really depends on how much of the legwork/time your willing to spend to find the parts yourself vs getting them as a kit. If your okay with a 13-17 RA4 VP4-NA Nav radio vs a 2018/classic 4th gen UAQ or UAS radio (with AA & CP), you can save more money.

1) ~ 2013-17 Ra4 is about $450 - $550
($300-$450 for a non nav Ra3)

~ $125-160+ for a used 8.4 bezel (+$100 for a new one. Single Zone or Dual zone can be used, see post 15)

~ $350 for conversion harness, new HVAC module, and cell error bypass for RAx radio

2) You can add an RCA video pigtail to the factory radio connector to accept your aftermarket BuCam ($25) which requires BuCam sales code to enable the input on the Ra2->Ra4 radio (or via AlfaOBD yourself)

or get an aftermarket camera add-on Module from PAC, Crux, Nav-tv, CustomTronix, etc

-------

If you actual had an ra1 radio without Bluetooth handsfree calling and no mics in the headliner (no phone/VR buttons on wheel) then you will also need to add mics & mic harness to the headliner of you want the handsfree calling to work.
Thanks. I don’t care much about Apple CarPlay. I use it with my aftermarket because it’s available, but I’m fine with the regular old Bluetooth my truck came equipped with. Didn’t realize this wasn’t going to be a quick swap out. I already have alphaOBD, so that’s one thing out the way. Definitely helps that you mentioned some pricing. I see people (Infotainment) selling things and they often seem to be overpriced. I’m gonna try to start gathering these parts myself. Thanks again

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Thanks. I don’t care much about Apple CarPlay. I use it with my aftermarket because it’s available, but I’m fine with the regular old Bluetooth my truck came equipped with. Didn’t realize this wasn’t going to be a quick swap out. I already have alphaOBD, so that’s one thing out the way. Definitely helps that you mentioned some pricing. I see people (Infotainment) selling things and they often seem to be overpriced. I’m gonna try to start gathering these parts myself. Thanks again

Message me if you'd like to get on the build list for the harnesses, etc.

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Just finished up a 5.0 to 8.4 upgrade on my 2018 3500 tradesman and everything is great. @Mpgrimm2 hooked me up with all the harnesses I needed and troubleshot an issue I had with a janky bezel. I’m lucky that I don’t have the HVAC issue but will probably flash the ATC module in the future.

Highly recommend this upgrade.

Attachments

• 55CBA2C7-0959-49A4-A97E-0C591C94A600.jpeg
    55CBA2C7-0959-49A4-A97E-0C591C94A600.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 8333ABFE-67B3-415C-AD9D-5CC81F413A95.jpeg
    8333ABFE-67B3-415C-AD9D-5CC81F413A95.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 23
  • D9443983-4E28-4C61-B8EF-F9ABBB76EF12.jpeg
    D9443983-4E28-4C61-B8EF-F9ABBB76EF12.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 24

2018ram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Just installed the 8.4 unconnected with this harness and it works like a dream! Super easy install and very easy installation guide to follow. Mike is the man to go to for this upgrade and is super helpful with everything from ordering to install. 100/10 would recommend!

BigJoe1094

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just finished upgrading my RA2 to a UAS radio and wow! I have to say i was blown away by the quality of the wiring harnesses and honestly how easy it was to install everything. Great job guys!

Ryno1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Can you use another module besides 68268186AA? I see that one is now over $500

G563500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
So I just wanted to post in here to share my experience, not entirely sure if this is the correct place to post my experience/vouch as I did not see it elsewhere on the forum. However, here it goes.
I first contacted Mike after being a longtime lurker, he is actually the reason I made an account on here - to fancy up my poverty tradesman. My 2017 3500 came with next to nothing - power driver seat, bluetooth basic radio with no frills. I ended up getting a set of Laramie heated/vented seats and via Mike ended up buying RA4 with the bezel. The man had awesome support and communication - Anything I had an issue with he responded right away, called me on the weekends and helped me when I needed it. Absolutely went above and beyond. The wiring harnesses and the parts themselves were great quality. Everything was loomed, heat shrunk, terminated and a true plug and play system. I ended up getting the heated and vented seats to work, went from 4-7 speed automatic climate control, a harness for the heated steering wheel, harness for the factory power inverter, harness for everything to pretty much transform my tradesman interior to a Laramie. Everything was the perfect length, labeled every wire - instructions were simple and it was easy to get to it once I started getting into it. For anyone else contemplating doing these upgrades do it. I do not know how much longer we are going to have awesome guys like this doing this kinds of harnesses and knowing the canbus system like they do for our 4th gens. All I can say is, I cannot speak highly enough, and 100% vouch for anyone on the fence. Furthermore - when I had my windshield replaced the window man ended up cutting my Sat antenna, Mike ended up talking to me about what I can do to replace it/fix it without dropping my headliner and sent me some links and communicated past midnight. If that's not something you can stand behind, I dont know what is. Absolutely awesome experience with awesome people.

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I installed Mike's ATC harness to go with my UAQ radio. My wife bought the radio from infotainment and it came with a dual zone pannel, the USB hub, a harness and control box. I did not like the dual zone control since my system had none of the options so I got a single zone off ebay. The issue it never really controlled by temperature right and with 3 clicks it show hot but the temp control hardly moved. Reading this forum I saw putting it to single ATC would fix the issue, and it did but then I wanted the ATC function. I spoke to Mike and he gave me a few options and I went with the complete kit. The only thing I did not have is the holder for the humidity sensor since my truck is a express and has none of those features. I looked on ebay and found a guy selling the whole thing, windshield clip, cover and sensor. He was not sure if the sensor worked but I did not care since I ordered a new one from Mike. I used 3/8 3M tape to hold the clip to the window and ran the wire under the headliner. Removed the main harness from infotainment and and ran Mike new main harness. Installed the temp sensor in the panel under the steering wheel. Hooked the battery back up and tested. It took 2 power cycles for everything to sync but once it did I now have a functioning ATC in my 2018 Express.

Thanks Mike!!

nyrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I just wanted to post in here to share my experience, not entirely sure if this is the correct place to post my experience/vouch as I did not see it elsewhere on the forum. However, here it goes.
I first contacted Mike after being a longtime lurker, he is actually the reason I made an account on here - to fancy up my poverty tradesman. My 2017 3500 came with next to nothing - power driver seat, bluetooth basic radio with no frills. I ended up getting a set of Laramie heated/vented seats and via Mike ended up buying RA4 with the bezel. The man had awesome support and communication - Anything I had an issue with he responded right away, called me on the weekends and helped me when I needed it. Absolutely went above and beyond. The wiring harnesses and the parts themselves were great quality. Everything was loomed, heat shrunk, terminated and a true plug and play system. I ended up getting the heated and vented seats to work, went from 4-7 speed automatic climate control, a harness for the heated steering wheel, harness for the factory power inverter, harness for everything to pretty much transform my tradesman interior to a Laramie. Everything was the perfect length, labeled every wire - instructions were simple and it was easy to get to it once I started getting into it. For anyone else contemplating doing these upgrades do it. I do not know how much longer we are going to have awesome guys like this doing this kinds of harnesses and knowing the canbus system like they do for our 4th gens. All I can say is, I cannot speak highly enough, and 100% vouch for anyone on the fence. Furthermore - when I had my windshield replaced the window man ended up cutting my Sat antenna, Mike ended up talking to me about what I can do to replace it/fix it without dropping my headliner and sent me some links and communicated past midnight. If that's not something you can stand behind, I dont know what is. Absolutely awesome experience with awesome people.
I totally agree!! Mike goes out of his way to help. He was just an email away and he called me twice when I needed help. Also, in not sure how he's making money because his prices are so low. I shopped around and no one comes close plus you would not get the one one super that Mike gives. If you're going to upgrade your tradesman I would definitely recommend going to Mike for your parts.

bcarthen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So what is the average cost of doing the upgrade to 8.4?

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
where did you buy yours? did you buy individual parts or a kit?
I got everything separate. Combination of Benny's Mopar site, Schram, eBay and this forum. Got the wire harness from Mpgrimm. The radio itself is the hard part if your trying to keep price low. I got lucky when another forum member was selling one

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
where did you buy yours? did you buy individual parts or a kit?

You can find used 2013-17 8.4 Ra3 radios for $325-$450 & used RA4's for about $125 more.

What conversion Harness (es), Bezel, HVAC module, etc you need depends on your truck Year, fan speed (1500 vs 2500), & radio you started with.

2014tradsmen

Reaction score
You can find used 2013-17 8.4 Ra3 radios for $325-$450 & used RA4's for about $125 more.

What conversion Harness (es), Bezel, HVAC module, etc you need depends on your truck Year, fan speed (1500 vs 2500), & radio you started with.
sent a pm