DIY 5.0 to 8.4 Navigation upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can tell you I am capable of dictating text message replies by speaking to the radio. It even let's people know it came from my truck by adding a signature "sent from my Ram" or something like that. No sales codes have been added to my 2014 Express.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Wow ! So your saying with you RA4 8.4 you can reply to text messages by voice without being resticted to the preset text replies?

I have everything in my shop to complete the Uprade to an 8.4AN 2014 W/ 7 speed blower from my already upgraded RA2 , with the exception of the radio itself , I've been trolling here for a while and saving for a 6" BDS lift & wheels n tires . Being able to reply hands free via voice , with what I WANT TO SAY , may just push me back to completing this upgrade ...

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Wow ! So your saying with you RA4 8.4 you can reply to text messages by voice without being resticted to the preset text replies?

I have everything in my shop to complete the Uprade to an 8.4AN 2014 W/ 7 speed blower from my already upgraded RA2 , with the exception of the radio itself , I've been trolling here for a while and saving for a 6" BDS lift & wheels n tires . Being able to reply hands free via voice , with what I WANT TO SAY , may just push me back to completing this upgrade ...
You know, I wanna say that on an older firmware this didn't work for me when I tried but I'm not positive. I can say that on 15.26.1 firmware after factory reset it works flawlessly. I have only tried sending simple sentences though like:

"OK I'll be there in a few minutes, save me a seat."

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Noted !
And thanks for the response !

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine will only do the pre determined texts for a reply. It worked before I did the latest update It says I need a Uconnect supcription to use voice text response now.....sucks

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Mine will only do the pre determined texts for a reply. It worked before I did the latest update It says I need a Uconnect supcription to use voice text response now.....sucks
I'm pretty sure that's what mine used to say as well.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How did you get it to work? We have the same update. I have the 911 overide. Just found a 911 mirror on ebay today for 65.00 shipped. I am adding the sharkfin antenna but not sure if that will make a difference. That's the ONLY reason I would like to have a Uconnect subscription. Would realy like to get it working again.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Rick is it possible that his useless-connect subscription from the donor vin is still active and yours is expired?

Also I have the shark-fin installed on my truck (as a side note I had it painted to color match my truck at the dealership for 40.00). This made my internal phone fully functional and I have called uconnect using the radio and registration they will not let me register.

I cannot speak to the dummy load cell antennas you guys use I never tried one. But to some it up the shark fin should fully enable the sierra wireless air card in your radio and give you a fully functioning phone.

For me it enabled the following:
Yelp
Chrysler customer care
Uconnect registration (they won't let though)
Uconnect Help (They will talk to me anyway, just not do anything)
Uconnect store (Goes there but errors out)

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am not positive but the voice text stopped the second I did the update to the 14 25.5. I have since updated to the 15 version. It never seemed to work very well but it worked. I have always had the dummy plug. I am going to install the antenna and see if it helps but I doupt it will. I am going to have my old neighbor install the RA4 code in the truck when he does the airbag recall. Won't make any difference but might help for Uconnect access in the future.

Tallsilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In my '13 truck, only pre-recorded text messages were available unless you had a Uconnect subscription. Seems to be working the same with my adopted RA4N in the '14 2500.

Avgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have a 8.4AN from a '14 on my '15. I do not have the sharkfin antenna, but have the 911 override plug. I have voice to text, yelp, nav, and my own subscription to XM. Not sure on the uconnect subsription.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I am going to have my old neighbor install the RA4 code in the truck when he does the airbag recall. Won't make any difference but might help for Uconnect access in the future.
Please let us know any details about the actual codes he adds and the outcome/what functionality you gain.
Another member did this but has reasons why they couldn't post back the details.

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 8.4AN from a '14 on my '15. I do not have the sharkfin antenna, but have the 911 override plug. I have voice to text, yelp, nav, and my own subscription to XM. Not sure on the uconnect subsription.
So you have voice text capabilities, meaning you are not restricted to the preset text ? , what is your software version ?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Please let us know any details about the actual codes he adds and the outcome/what functionality you gain.
Another member did this but has reasons why they couldn't post back the details.

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

I will post back. I already almost had him do it but I wasn't sure what would happen so I chickened out. Everything works perfect now exept the voice text so don't want to mess with it.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
adding the RA4 code to your build sheet doesnt do much in the sense of any added features, just that it shows as being installed so covered under warranty. I do have working uconnect access, but it took alot of work to get there, and to be frank I dont think anyone else would be able to do it just because of the mass amount of people that would need to be talked to.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
adding the RA4 code to your build sheet doesnt do much in the sense of any added features, just that it shows as being installed so covered under warranty. I do have working uconnect access, but it took alot of work to get there, and to be frank I dont think anyone else would be able to do it just because of the mass amount of people that would need to be talked to.

That's kinda what I thought.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
I have the dummy load on my RA4 and I get 3G signal all the time.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I have the dummy load on my RA4 and I get 3G signal all the time.

Just wondering if you could actually make a call with it? Have you actually made a call with it and spoke to someone? 911 or Chrysler Care? When I called the 911 operator she understood that I accidentally hit the 911 button on the mirror. After you hit that you have like 5 or ten seconds to cancel after that you cannot cancel the call she has to.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
Just wondering if you could actually make a call with it? Have you actually made a call with it and spoke to someone? 911 or Chrysler Care? When I called the 911 operator she understood that I accidentally hit the 911 button on the mirror. After you hit that you have like 5 or ten seconds to cancel after that you cannot cancel the call she has to.
I can give it a shot after work. Dont I need the 911 mirror? If I've got signal I dont see why I couldnt make a call. If it goes through I'm just gonna hang up anyway.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can give it a shot after work. Dont I need the 911 mirror? If I've got signal I dont see why I couldnt make a call. If it goes through I'm just gonna hang up anyway.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I have the regular mirror as well. I have pushed the assistance soft key in the radio and it says I am not subscribed to Uconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.