Installing OEM backup cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Didn't he have Bluetooth added to his BCM at one point ?

Could that be causing any type of interference with the video input to the radio ??
This is confusing , but I'm certain it will be a simple fix .

I just can't get past the point that maybe he should just hard wire the video wires from the connector behind the passengers vent to the radio C1 connector at 31 , 32 , 33 ...
If that doesn't work , it would be a sales code flashed within the BCM Not allowing video to the radio head unit .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
318A6F20-F0A4-48A8-ABD4-B87669C57C78.png
It should look like mine , like this ... Unless the factory installed wires are different .

Your truck cam from the factory with the backup cam in the mirror with the RA1 right ?

7dc8ddf25bc659ef2b31fa19dc9fb62f.jpg
ef9319bcdac43bddaa6ae94ce9ced8c4.jpg
Mine are an rca cable splice in. But yes, I have wires in those spots with accretion to the shield, which I don’t have.

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I also did continuity check on the rca cable and the pin block on the passengers side vent. The wire from the (green brown stripe) rings to the upper fat flat pin in the multipin connector at the radio. So signal in get there on one line I think. The rca cable rings true on both ends and goes to the 2 green wires with stripes at the pass vent

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It should look like mine , like this ... Unless the factory installed wires are different .

Your truck cam from the factory with the backup cam in the mirror with the RA1 right ?

7dc8ddf25bc659ef2b31fa19dc9fb62f.jpg
ef9319bcdac43bddaa6ae94ce9ced8c4.jpg
See I only have two wires were as you have 3 going to that block.

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It may be a wiring issue (I don’t like that I only have two wires were I should have 3) or a configuration problem. I have a different dealer going to be checking it out on Wednesday. Hopefully it will be something my extended warranty will cover. If it turns out to be the infotainment harness. I am really going to be upset. My instinct was to get mpgrimm2 jumper, but I liked the pnp option with infotainment harness.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It may be a wiring issue (I don’t like that I only have two wires were I should have 3) or a configuration problem. I have a different dealer going to be checking it out on Wednesday. Hopefully it will be something my extended warranty will cover. If it turns out to be the infotainment harness. I am really going to be upset. My instinct was to get mpgrimm2 jumper, but I liked the pnp option with infotainment harness.
It may be the infotainment harness , but unlikely
( have they sent you another one to try ? )

I'm thinking it's more likely a BCM configuration issue with the radio ....

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree with you. I love my dealer, but they even admitted they were not really experienced in these problems, hence I am going to another dealer Wednesday, and supposed to be the best in the area with these problems. I have video signal at the pass vent, I can plug mirror in right now and back up cam would work on the mirror.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just for giggles, here is the link to the original Bluetooth kit for RA1 that is still installed. Maybe you can find the wiring issue by looking at it. Who knows. https://www.mopar.com/moparsvc/pim/media?id=9012361101342
Not sure why your missing the shield wire in socket 33 ??

Maybe when the Bluetooth kit was installed the pin in either socket 31 or 32 was unseated ?
Not sure if this would keep you from getting the Blue screen while in reverse , but it definitely would keep the video from showing ....
Have you checked if the shield wire is taped back in the harness behind your C1 connector ?

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The infotainment guy Chris said I don’t need that shield wire. Mpgrimm2 has 3 wire jumper too. The reason i have only 2 wires is the RCA cable. Which both wires are connected all the way through as I proved to myself with continuity check. I can only go by what these experts are telling me. I am electrician by trade, so I can do some things. But I am lost on software, bcm issues, CAN, and so forth. What is the module on the passengers floor by the firewall? Got a lot of wires leading to that. Going to investigate further later.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
View attachment 141431
Mine are an rca cable splice in. But yes, I have wires in those spots with accretion to the shield, which I don’t have.
So your infotainment harness has all three wires to include the shield wire , but the truck side harness is missing the shield wire ?

#1 make sure the shield isn't taped back in the trucks harness .

#2 make sure on the trucks side sockets 31 & 32 are fully seated and the proper color wires are in the correct sockets .

#3 make sure the infotainment harness sockets 31,32 &33 are properly seated and jive with the trucks harness

#4 visually inspect with a magnifying glass 31,32&33 sockets for any damage on both the trucks harness and the infotainment one as well .

I can't think of any reason your factory harness would be missing the shielded wire ? I also don't think the absence of the shield would cause the backup cam to be inop .
I still believe this is a configuration issue within the BCM ??
Not sure if deleting the XAC code then reflashing it in would help either , but certainly worth a try imo.

Good luck at the dealership Sir !!!

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will give it a shot, but yes, only 2 wires to the 31 and 32 pin. 33 has nothing. Due to the wrapping tape, I can trace the wire from the firewall to the radio. But the meter says there’s a connecting on the rca cable on both the inner prong and outer ring of rca plug (continuity). I tried to trace both the greeen wires with brown stripe, from the fire wall to the radio and I get continuity to one pin (fat flat pin) only in radio connector block. I think these wires go to or through the bcm, only because the meter showed contact but the resistance varied, meaning usually, the wires were going through another component before hitting the multipin block to the radio.

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dealership bragged on the phone they deal with these issues all the time and they were best in the area at fixing them. The only thing that scares me is the cost, if they do have to chase wires. I have extended warranty (bought truck two months ago) so if it’s a wiring issue other than infotainment harness then perhaps I will get away with just 100$ deductible. The 2015 ra2 is better than the 2014 and has a few more features. So when this is all said and done I probably will be sellers no the 2014 ra2 on forum or eBay., Once I get the configuration and backup cam straight.

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, studying wiring diagrams. Noticed there’s an option for DVD player. Going to the video spots On the multipin block going to the radio. So any chance there could be a fuse missing as video was going to mirror before I changed it. Just spit balling. The video inputs are like pins 20, 21, 22 on the diagram I have. Weird. Just grasping at straws at this point.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, studying wiring diagrams. Noticed there’s an option for DVD player. Going to the video spots On the multipin block going to the radio. So any chance there could be a fuse missing as video was going to mirror before I changed it. Just spit balling. The video inputs are like pins 20, 21, 22 on the diagram I have. Weird. Just grasping at straws at this point.
Interesting ....but I believe 21,22,23 are video inputs for the cargo cam in the 3rd brake light for the 8.4" radios .

To my knowledge fuse #95 is for the backup cam ...to my knowledge fuse 95 is for the mirror or radio bu cam.

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Okay so the rca cable spliced in the info harness takes the place of those grey wires (your pictures) at the radio connect block, correct? And I have video signal at the pass vent connector block (I proved it). So the radio is just not recognizing the signal for some reason.... migraine... omg

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This would have been so much simpler with mpgrimm2 jumper to the original oem connect block at back of radio. This harness is so hard to trace. I can’t tell if half the pins are seated correctly. What a pain.

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, now I am not sure if I have correct diagram. This mentions nothing about backup cam, cargo cam, or even the video mirror (which is what I started with).

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Don't worry about pin 33 shield. It's a non issue and is just to reduce possible engine/signal nose on the video signal.

It won't prevent a blue screen being activated on the radio by the BCM

M² Mods.

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any new clues as to why the radio won’t let the signal in? Still going with configuration?