2012 Ram 1500 5.7 misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Firefighter700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all new to the forum, however been lurking trying to find some information. 2012 Ram Express 1500 5.7 17X,*** on the odometer. New to me but decent maintenance history on it nothing major. When I purchased had an engine code for misfire on #3 and #6. Replaced all coil packs, got rid of the codes, however #6 popped back up after a few days. I didn’t change the plugs when I done the coil packs, I know I should have lol. Changed plugs, #6 came back after a few days. It does have “the hemi tick” however it’s on startup and doesn’t change in tone can’t tell if it gets quieter while driving can’t hear it over exhaust in cab. While I was messing with the plugs and whatnot I did find my passenger side exhaust heat shield is very loose, indicating broken manifold bolts. My question is with the manifold bolts broke would a leak in that be able to cause the misfire on #6? I should add when under throttle and all that truck runs fine, can’t tell it misfires at all. Thanks!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hey all new to the forum, however been lurking trying to find some information. 2012 Ram Express 1500 5.7 17X,*** on the odometer. New to me but decent maintenance history on it nothing major. When I purchased had an engine code for misfire on #3 and #6. Replaced all coil packs, got rid of the codes, however #6 popped back up after a few days. I didn’t change the plugs when I done the coil packs, I know I should have lol. Changed plugs, #6 came back after a few days. It does have “the hemi tick” however it’s on startup and doesn’t change in tone can’t tell if it gets quieter while driving can’t hear it over exhaust in cab. While I was messing with the plugs and whatnot I did find my passenger side exhaust heat shield is very loose, indicating broken manifold bolts. My question is with the manifold bolts broke would a leak in that be able to cause the misfire on #6? I should add when under throttle and all that truck runs fine, can’t tell it misfires at all. Thanks!
Dimes to donuts the cam lob is wiped, manifold wont be the cause of the misfire. If you can pull off the front end stuff, you likely can dyi, here is ram forum cam thread. Very few cams cant be pulled out, but once is a while the engine will need to be replaced.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Post a vid of it running so we can tell if its exhaust or lifter issue If you replaced all coils checked injectors checked compression after all of that if that cylinder still missfires chances are its a cam lobe.

billdozer79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Could be a PCM issue as well. Been a few cases of them needing replaced

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
going with Cam issue and previos knew about it adn dumped it off to you. I
Could yank valve covers adn observe lifter movement to verify rather quickly.

If so, follow thread alreaady provided.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Pull the valve covers and turn engine over while observing rocker movement ,if they do not move the same amount that is where the cam lob left home. As mentioned above.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honestly donest sound to bad not the loudest 5.7 ive heard sounds like it needs a oil change tho mine will get tap a bit when its due. It also sounds fairly smooth to I would re check Injector,plugs,coil even tho new on cylinder 6 also check for intake leaks around manifold use some carb cleaner or something and snug intake bolts.

OP
OP
F

Firefighter700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly donest sound to bad not the loudest 5.7 ive heard sounds like it needs a oil change tho mine will get tap a bit when its due. It also sounds fairly smooth to I would re check Injector,plugs,coil even tho new on cylinder 6 also check for intake leaks around manifold use some carb cleaner or something and snug intake bolts.
Just done an oil change maybe 500 miles ago as I had no clue what oil was in it local place didn’t have the Pennzoil in stock so used the Quaker state 5 20 full syn I’ll try and recheck everything over the weekend, swap cylinders with stuff and see if I can get it to move

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

this is a warm start up I’ll try to get a cold but there is no difference in the sound
that is not much of a tick, but cam's still get wiped out w/o tick. The good news is, IF it is the cam wiped lob, then it might end up being a good result with a new cam and a good lube strategy. Have to pop the cover and see valve travel on 6, end of story. If it raises as much as other valves, then you have hope it isnt the cam.

Eugene Greathouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check your injectors I chased same thing finally pulled injector on # 6 and it was clogged replaced it and issue gone

bfry10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm new to forum Aldo. How about lifter failure and or eco sensor. I believe if sensor malfunctions you will get misfire. Can't remember which cylinder positions are affected by ECO system

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm new to forum Aldo. How about lifter failure and or eco sensor. I believe if sensor malfunctions you will get misfire. Can't remember which cylinder positions are affected by ECO system
1,4,6, and 7 are the cylinders that are deactivated by the MDS system while cruising. They are usually the most common lifters to fail, and unfortunately a missfire usually means a cam lobe has been rounded off by the failed lifter