RP 20-820 are gone, what do I do now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The hemi was reworked in 2009 which added the eagle heads and VVT and possibly some other stuff (MDS was there since 2006). But after 2009 there was only one mechanical change to upgraded lifters somewhere around 2014 or 2016, can't remember.
So did, or at some point, the variable valve timing replace the multi displacement system? Ever since I’ve had my 2018, Ive always wondered why the Eco mode(whatever it is now) in these trucks doesn’t seem to really affect the louder Carven Progressive exhaust note on it like the MDS did so badly to the flow master knock off and custom dual muffler-back pipes on my 2008. That’s why I’ve always been really glad that I had the ability to easily run a tuner on my old truck and don’t have to on this one.

I don’t know whether or not if you’ve been on the BITOG forums but that really talkative guy that’s on there; can’t remember his username but he’s the one that has the Maverick-like fighter pilot helmet as his avatar and he was the one telling me about the lifters being changed supposedly 4 to 5 times throughout the years.
But after that date, the same hemi is used in 4th gens (built after that date) and classics, as well as 5th gens.

So your 4th gen 2018 Ram has the same hemi as my 5th gen 2019. But your 2008 hemi will be quite different.
So other than the heads, the lifters and whether or not there was a transition from the multi displacement system to the variable valve timing, what else is not the same?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The hemi was reworked in 2009 which added the eagle heads and VVT and possibly some other stuff (MDS was there since 2006). But after 2009 there was only one mechanical change to upgraded lifters somewhere around 2014 or 2016, can't remember.

But after that date, the same hemi is used in 4th gens (built after that date) and classics, as well as 5th gens.

So your 4th gen 2018 Ram has the same hemi as my 5th gen 2019. But your 2008 hemi will be quite different.
The cam tunnel was raised to accomodate the extra oil passge for the VVT system,putting the cam even farther away from the crank and it's splash lifter lubrication.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is what I mean - Mobil / Exxon Marketers have gone insane. Just schlepping statements and re-brands all over the place, thinking confusing customers means more sales, somehow.

As for me, it just pi$$es me of off.
After reading this it kinda makes me a little bit more anxious to see the Blackstone results from the Schaeffers 9000 after I change my oil and send off the sample. I might be sticking with that in the future.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They musta did something different because whatever they did doesn’t really affect my exhaust note.
musta cause i have a carven progressive too and MDS is super noticable to me.
Also have a 1/4 wave resonator - you gotta get one if you don't have!!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
They musta did something different because whatever they did doesn’t really affect my exhaust note.
VVT and MDS has been on every Ram 1500 5.7 and the automatic cars with the 5.7 since 2009. The manual /stick 5.7/6.4 Challengers don't have MDS and the HD 2500's with the 5.7 didn't get MDS until either 13 or 14 .

Last edited:

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Googled it, I wanted to see if they had improved them since I last check on them backpack in 2010
A rating of 35 microns would be unusual for a spin-on oil filter nowadays, so I did some research. The only reference to this number I could find was in a discussion regarding oil filters for the Cummins motors by "Deluth Diesel" in 2010 at:

Mopar oil filters | Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum (cumminsforum.com)

Additional research uncovered a discussion of the MO-899 filter in: https://www.ram-trx.com/threads/15-trx-oil-filters-cut-compared.9481/

Here there is a list of the MO-899 and corresponding competitors, and specifically shows the MO-899 efficiency of 94% at 20 microns, which was oddly enough reported in an Amsoil test. While the MO-899 is not going to place near the top of efficiency with 94% @ 20 microns, without any evidence to the contrary I seriously doubt it will pass much 35 micron particles, if at all.

There is also a video on the construction of the MO-339 and the filter media does not look like cellulose paper, but perhaps a blend (https://youtu.be/_lZWX25RuuE ).

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 75878 miles

Attachments

• 02DC84A7-C839-45CD-AFA6-8DC4942581AB.jpeg
    02DC84A7-C839-45CD-AFA6-8DC4942581AB.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
@Dusty - thanks for posting the chart, that's the type of thing I like to see...except it's 12 years old and we don't know where those numbers came from.

The marketers today typically try to hide performance data to the extent possible, except when they have something they think is a competitive advantage, which today it's more about highest profit and lowest cost. Been there, done that.

There is science out there to indicate spun fiber filters can be made more efficient with less flow resistance than matted media. I saw this way back during Fleetguard's introduction of Stratpore spun fiberglass filters.

This is why pleat count alone isn't necessarily a terrific measure anymore. Nor surface area. A spun glass media can hold more dirt and flow more easily than a matted media with the same surface area.

The only way to know for sure is competitive testing, such as the Arizona dust ingestion test used for air filters (applied to oil filters).

Without further data, that still leads me to Royal Purple 1st, and Fram Ultra 2nd, based on these being the top 2 efficiency filters in actual test data presented earlier in the thread. Again, this is only critical for drama engines like the Hemi that need squeaky clean oil to prevent flow issues (due to marginal lubrication system).

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Dusty - thanks for posting the chart, that's the type of thing I like to see...except it's 12 years old and we don't know where those numbers came from.

The marketers today typically try to hide performance data to the extent possible, except when they have something they think is a competitive advantage, which today it's more about highest profit and lowest cost. Been there, done that.

There is science out there to indicate spun fiber filters can be made more efficient with less flow resistance than matted media. I saw this way back during Fleetguard's introduction of Stratpore spun fiberglass filters.

This is why pleat count alone isn't necessarily a terrific measure anymore. Nor surface area. A spun glass media can hold more dirt and flow more easily than a matted media with the same surface area.

The only way to know for sure is competitive testing, such as the Arizona dust ingestion test used for air filters (applied to oil filters).

Without further data, that still leads me to Royal Purple 1st, and Fram Ultra 2nd, based on these being the top 2 efficiency filters in actual test data presented earlier in the thread. Again, this is only critical for drama engines like the Hemi that need squeaky clean oil to prevent flow issues (due to marginal lubrication system).
Yes, and unless there's a solid data point anything stated in the blogosphere should not be treated as gospel. Especially since there are always people wishing to denigrate something and cast it in the poorest light.

In this case the "35 micron" attributed to the filter in question seemed suspiciously outside the industry average of 20-30 microns, regardless of the price-point and media type.

Oil filter videos seem to be a specialty of arm chair critics, but the cursory dissection of various oil filter brands seem to miss the most important aspect...that of the actual filtration efficiency which can't be done by visual inspection alone. Just because a media is judged to be synthetic is not a true indicator of efficiency. Media materials and construction vary. Not all synthetic medias are the same. Anti-Drain Back Valve materials can vary, too.

Actual testing is required and so far the closest thing to proper, bias-free testing I've seen regarding oil filters is from the Ascent tests using ISO specifications.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 76044 miles

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
A rating of 35 microns would be unusual for a spin-on oil filter nowadays, so I did some research. The only reference to this number I could find was in a discussion regarding oil filters for the Cummins motors by "Deluth Diesel" in 2010 at:

Mopar oil filters | Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum (cumminsforum.com)

Additional research uncovered a discussion of the MO-899 filter in: https://www.ram-trx.com/threads/15-trx-oil-filters-cut-compared.9481/

Here there is a list of the MO-899 and corresponding competitors, and specifically shows the MO-899 efficiency of 94% at 20 microns, which was oddly enough reported in an Amsoil test. While the MO-899 is not going to place near the top of efficiency with 94% @ 20 microns, without any evidence to the contrary I seriously doubt it will pass much 35 micron particles, if at all.

There is also a video on the construction of the MO-339 and the filter media does not look like cellulose paper, but perhaps a blend (https://youtu.be/_lZWX25RuuE ).

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 75878 milesshould post this in oil filter thread if you havent already.
oil filter thread right here.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

I'm not surprised at the results and generally believe them. If you have two filters the same general size and one is thin tight media and one is loose thick media, which one will likely have more surface area and pleats? I would have been more surprised if rp or amsoil had more surface area then less considering the thick loose media. That picture is really helpful as you can see all the filters and it highlights the differences, how we interpret the data is another thing.

Looks like rp 20-820 has the least surface area and next to last pleats, translates to damn that media must be thick?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What is missing? Maybe a square inch of cut media test for thickness or some other relevant filtering info such as flow rates. One could assume whoever posted that had a reason to not show such info. It is actually perfect pr move, convince someone your stats are the relevant ones, it takes dedication to peel apart the onion most people wont bother.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks, that's some great information Neighbor!!!
Since you live in the same area, you're not just a neighbor, you're a fellow sufferer.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 76207 miles

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For what it is worth this site does show it is in stock and I got all the way through checkout(before inputting my payment info).

I have never ordered from them nor heard of them so take it however you will.

FYI I did call the hotline (602-314-1983)(Google subscriber) and got no answer. So proceed with caution lol.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Some random photo's.. Yes these are cartridge filters, but in my experience the media tends to be the media and that follows brand, as in if you cut open a canister filter the same brand it will favor the cartridge media on the same brand, we have some photo's somewhere in the ether on ram forum that shows the cut open new canister filters that show the same thing. A picture is worth more or less then a chart on pleat number? wix xp cartridge filters are famous for seeing daylight when you look into the middle, that doesnt happen with rp thick media.

rp media

71SkeLMaLIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

k & N

OIP.jpg

fram ultra

1.jpg

wix xp

ca-5c9b2b9e61d2_1.1b62ca61382cd53abcee45f2d578a2af.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So what is preferable, low pleat count or high pleat count?

79-742073a6f66f_1.49a6a51e8913711785a97f5ccf63e5ae.jpg

51k9okCsr9L._SX300_QL70_.jpg

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
So what is preferable, low pleat count or high pleat count?

View attachment 500714

View attachment 500715

Efficiency + low flow restriction + sufficient area for 5k mile OCI's.

Pleat count is an indirect measurement for the above. That's why the lab test you showed was so valuable.

Edit: but the flow restriction and contaminant capacity was missing from the lab test, however. These are closely held data by the manufacturers. We used to beat it out of them as an OEM corporate customer for them, but they ain't about to cough up that for the average consumer market.

So we go with what we know - get the highest efficiency filter (Royal Purple or Fram Ultra) on the market, with the biggest canister you can fit in - ideally Royal Purple as first choice because it is known wound fiberglass thread media which is known to have lower flow restriction than random matted media.

We don't know how Fram Ultra manufactures their media. About 5 years or so ago, somebody at BITOG published a flow restriction curve and it had very low restriction. Who knows what it is today? They've already changed media design at least once.

Both of these oil filters are made (assembled, at least) in USA. For now, anyway. I don't think you can go wrong with either one for maximizing the drama Hemi engine life.

Last edited: