Drag Link Recall Error!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Al Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
So, last month I took the '18 in for the recall. According to the invoice the jam nuts were re-torqued and welded. But they did not do an alignment before the weld. They said I needed new front tires. They wanted to sell me AmeriTracs, and if got them there, they would do the alignment including un-welding and re-welding for $139. They wouldn't listen to me and said their interpretation of the recall repair did not required alignment. So, called Chrysler. At first, they said yes and then said no because of part of the owner's maintenance. Sent me 2 two other dealers. First one's machine broke for +2 plus weeks. Could have saved me time and fuel - 30 miles away. Another dealer wouldn't do anything because they couldn't contact the guy at Chrysler. So, conference call with original dealer and service manager, had me bring it back there. Guess what - it was out of alignment! I'm 71, been driving for many years - I know when an alignment is need, and I never do any front end work without doing an alignment. They also did the recall on the actuator. Their invoice said they replaced it, but the service manager said it was just a piece of rubber that got inserted. But, there's always a but, now the tailgate is racked and rubbing on the lower right. Again "owner's maintenance". So, FWIW, the service manager said the way the repair was ordered by Chrysler was ridiculous and dangerous. Tires-I bought 2 Coop'er, mounted and balanced for less than the dealer. Now, got to get, in writing, that future alignment un-welding, at least, be paid for by Chrysler. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
What a can or worms.

Reactions: U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
They told me that they are supposed to actually replace these welded drag links with new ones that are correct. But there was no timeframe as to when[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
What a joke. This is an embarrassment. That's how you fix a truck properly fca? Lofl. Any dealer that does not know how to properly perform a recall should have their license suspended. Just plain stupid

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
They told me that they are supposed to actually replace these welded drag links with new ones that are correct. But there was no timeframe as to when[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Exactly because it'll be never. I hope I'm wrong but the stonewalling I've gotten from FCA on this issue is just ridiculous.

Reactions: U&A

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
So, last month I took the '18 in for the recall. According to the invoice the jam nuts were re-torqued and welded. But they did not do an alignment before the weld. They said I needed new front tires. They wanted to sell me AmeriTracs, and if got them there, they would do the alignment including un-welding and re-welding for $139. They wouldn't listen to me and said their interpretation of the recall repair did not required alignment. So, called Chrysler. At first, they said yes and then said no because of part of the owner's maintenance. Sent me 2 two other dealers. First one's machine broke for +2 plus weeks. Could have saved me time and fuel - 30 miles away. Another dealer wouldn't do anything because they couldn't contact the guy at Chrysler. So, conference call with original dealer and service manager, had me bring it back there. Guess what - it was out of alignment! I'm 71, been driving for many years - I know when an alignment is need, and I never do any front end work without doing an alignment. They also did the recall on the actuator. Their invoice said they replaced it, but the service manager said it was just a piece of rubber that got inserted. But, there's always a but, now the tailgate is racked and rubbing on the lower right. Again "owner's maintenance". So, FWIW, the service manager said the way the repair was ordered by Chrysler was ridiculous and dangerous. Tires-I bought 2 Coop'er, mounted and balanced for less than the dealer. Now, got to get, in writing, that future alignment un-welding, at least, be paid for by Chrysler. I'll let you know how it turns out.

To clarify, Al, are you currently experiencing concerns that our team can look into? If so, we ask that you send us a private message with details.

Kate
RamCares

bill thieman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7

bill thieman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hi
Al
I am 77 and also felt screwed when I took mine to the dealer for an alignment and they replaced the draglink for $2k (even tho I had the recall on time -where they welded it). I followed a post on this site and contacted Ram Care and provided details, receipts, etc and guess what? I got a refund (without admitting guilt) for the whole thing! I thanked them for doing the right thing. I WANT TO THANK RAMFORUM FOR GIVING ME THE LEAD TO GET IT DONE THANKS THANKS THANKS bILL

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
FWIW the tailgate actuator recall wouldn’t have anything to do with it rubbing. All they do is open the tailgate, remove the access panel and install the rubber limit block in the actuator arm.

As for the drag link recall they should have checked the alignment before going ahead with the recall. It says in the recall to adjust toe if required.

Patsarge

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ram cares is actually Ram doesnt care. Im going to be 74 and have spent a lot of time on the phone with so called mopar reps and emails to them about getting a drag link replacement. I got 2 calls that said it would be replaced and both led nowhere after talking with one dealer on the phone and the 2nd mopar rep never did call me back. Last letter from Mopar was to get it fixed and then to bill them. I wrote back and told them I wanted them to fix and replace it. I have full warranty for another 4 years or 100K but I actually use my truck while exploring desert with wife and do not want a steering failure 25 or 50 miles out in the desert when it would take a gps to find us. Im pretty fed up with Ram and have spent a lot of money and time on this PW. I really like my PW but not to the point that I will buy another one from Ram.

Patsarge

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I really would expect after all the headaches with Ram that they would really research and write saying they have a dealer with the parts and have an open appointment for you to set up an appointment with that dealer and get it done but its always the same run around. I feel sorry for anyone who put their money into a TRX as I know they will get burned one way or another as so many else have on their Rams trucks and PWs. When you drive 30 to 60 miles for a service you really hope they will do their job with the right parts.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
What are they welding/unwelding ?

Good question, I have a 2018 and I never heard of the drag link recall.

Ah, I just Googled it, it's 2500 and 3500 trucks. The drag link jam nut can come loose, and the adjuster sleeve could separate causing a crash. So they just weld the nut to the sleeve. Seems pretty half-assed.

Last edited:

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don’t understand why people don’t just replace it with an aftermarket piece, and not have the dealer hack on their trucks. Then go after Chrysler for reimbursement, you would then have a fixed truck ,and not drag this issue out .Plusyou can avoid the dealership altogether.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Too late for you now, but you could have replaced your drag link with the 2019+ style and Chrysler would have reimbursed you for it. That’s what I did. My old drag link literally went in the garbage. I have the 2019 version on mine. I read the fine print on the recall letter that if you have done the repair yourself you can get reimbursed. I spread the word, and a bunch of people started replacing with either the 2019+ OEM or the Synergy version (which I don’t recommend).

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Ram cares is actually Ram doesnt care. Im going to be 74 and have spent a lot of time on the phone with so called mopar reps and emails to them about getting a drag link replacement. I got 2 calls that said it would be replaced and both led nowhere after talking with one dealer on the phone and the 2nd mopar rep never did call me back. Last letter from Mopar was to get it fixed and then to bill them. I wrote back and told them I wanted them to fix and replace it. I have full warranty for another 4 years or 100K but I actually use my truck while exploring desert with wife and do not want a steering failure 25 or 50 miles out in the desert when it would take a gps to find us. Im pretty fed up with Ram and have spent a lot of money and time on this PW. I really like my PW but not to the point that I will buy another one from Ram.

Can you send us a message with your VIN? We can look into this for you.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

Devin Cox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Too late for you now, but you could have replaced your drag link with the 2019+ style and Chrysler would have reimbursed you for it. That’s what I did. My old drag link literally went in the garbage. I have the 2019 version on mine. I read the fine print on the recall letter that if you have done the repair yourself you can get reimbursed. I spread the word, and a bunch of people started replacing with either the 2019+ OEM or the Synergy version (which I don’t recommend).

I was appalled by how they welded a friends drag link on his 2018 2500 during a visit to the dealer and so I just bought the synergy drag link and installed it myself. Now @RamCares advised me that they will not cover the cost of the part since i installed it myself. BTW, when I took the old one off, it was completely unscrewed and flopping around. It was disturbing to say the least!

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I was appalled by how they welded a friends drag link on his 2018 2500 during a visit to the dealer and so I just bought the synergy drag link and installed it myself. Now @RamCares advised me that they will not cover the cost of the part since i installed it myself. BTW, when I took the old one off, it was completely unscrewed and flopping around. It was disturbing to say the least!
Strange, mine was covered and I installed it myself. But I didn’t use the Synergy, I used OEM.

Steveo8x8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab
Engine
6.7l Cummins

Got a link for the one you bought?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk