Exhaust manifolds backordered and heat shields "Impossible" to get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlooDSMeaR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Manifolds should be surfaced instead of replaced. The heat cycles have warped the manifold already. Once trued up the manifolds tend to stay true.

The bolts breaking is a2 part issue. The metals of the head, manifold, and studs heat and cool at different rates, and the warping of the manifold, puts pressure on the bolts/studs causing them to break.

The best fix for them is a set of shorty headers. And ARP bolts. I have not had one issue in the shop with the headers after installation. I have installed over 10 sets of JBA shorty headers. (I work in an exhaust shop)

OP
OP
AE5548

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did they show a Crack in the manifold ?
They don't usually have to replace the manifold, they just usually Machine it.
They also reuse the heat shield
All the bolts are replaced, because the OEM Bolts get stretched
the bolts are Grade 8
They claim it’s cracked and needs replacing. I’m not paying anything so I guess I can’t complain. But I’d be fine with simply being machined.
No , but why not try another dealer, or just buy a ford.
I would have taken it as soon as it went instead of waiting 4 weeks.
They will not order parts ahead of time, and the manifold could, should be milled, but I guess under warranty they don't do that.
Thou I would be surprised if a big dealer did not stock that stuff. The lots up here are still empty. Honda dealer has one new car, in the show room.
this is the closest dealer to my house. And it’s where I bought the truck. Was hoping I might actually get better treatment there.

As for a Ford, never in a million years. I don’t know anyone with a Ford truck who doesn’t have more problems that I’ve ever seen out of Dodge. I also don’t like their interiors. Everything seems cheap and toy like.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
They claim it’s cracked and needs replacing. I’m not paying anything so I guess I can’t complain. But I’d be fine with simply being machined.

this is the closest dealer to my house. And it’s where I bought the truck. Was hoping I might actually get better treatment there.

As for a Ford, never in a million years. I don’t know anyone with a Ford truck who doesn’t have more problems that I’ve ever seen out of Dodge. I also don’t like their interiors. Everything seems cheap and toy like.
In 1980 had one that was not too bad, 6 cylinder standard, but at 60k, started to smoke a bit so sold it went back to Dodge.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
How many miles are on your 2018? I wouldn't touch the plugs before ~5yrs / 80-100K miles.

My 2019 classic, hemi has 61K miles on it and I have no intentions of touching the spark plugs for another year or two.

I too dread the exhaust manifold situation, but the hemi in my 2019 classic has tie-bars between the bolts and the manifolds. My fear is the manifolds will crack instead of the bolts breaking.

OP
OP
AE5548

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How many miles are on your 2018? I wouldn't touch the plugs before ~5yrs / 80-100K miles.

My 2019 classic, hemi has 61K miles on it and I have no intentions of touching the spark plugs for another year or two.

I too dread the exhaust manifold situation, but the hemi in my 2019 classic has tie-bars between the bolts and the manifolds. My fear is the manifolds will crack instead of the bolts breaking.
Mine is an 18’ with 105k miles. So definitely time for the plugs.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
One member here went 220k plus on origal plugs, and they looked surprisingly good for the age.

When I did mine at 106k miles, they looked great, the gap had only increased a few thousanths. I replaced them anyways, and as you know, those laser iridium plugs have tiny electrodes, very easy to damage.

Last edited:

Reaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my 18' 1500 5.7 had the passenger side manifold leaking at around 85k. Finally have the time get it done and i made an appointment at the dealer 4 weeks ago to have it done under warranty. I drop the truck off yesterday morning and at 3pm, having not heard any update i call them. "Well, the truck is not even in a bay yet, we are short on staff due to covid" (In other words, you pay your mechanics crap money and nobody wants to work there). That being said they claim they will "Get right on it".
So now at 4pm they say "Well, the manifold is not in stock anywhere, latest estimate is 5-8 weeks. Oh, and you MIGHT need a new heat shield if we can't re-use the old one, those are showing backordered indefinitely"
The fact these clowns never ordered the parts 4 weeks ago when i made the appointment AND never bothered to call me before i came in to say "Hey, you might as well not even bring the truck in since we don't have the parts" is exactly why people are getting fed up with Ram.
Does anyone know any truth to this? Are these parts really this hard to find?
I had a manifold, driver side mirror, and fuel tank issue, all covered under warranty on my '19. My preferred dealer is rural, and I did not buy the truck from them (they have limited used inventory because, well, who doesn't...and the one I needed they just didn't have. It took a total of 9 months to get all the parts in, and the manifold was the last part to arrive. They are definitely behind the 8-ball on manifolds. This particular dealer has proven to me time and time again that they do not BS, particularly when it comes to service and warranty, so I believe them when they tell me. Just my $0.02.

Ranhood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 1500
So my 18' 1500 5.7 had the passenger side manifold leaking at around 85k. Finally have the time get it done and i made an appointment at the dealer 4 weeks ago to have it done under warranty. I drop the truck off yesterday morning and at 3pm, having not heard any update i call them. "Well, the truck is not even in a bay yet, we are short on staff due to covid" (In other words, you pay your mechanics crap money and nobody wants to work there). That being said they claim they will "Get right on it".
So now at 4pm they say "Well, the manifold is not in stock anywhere, latest estimate is 5-8 weeks. Oh, and you MIGHT need a new heat shield if we can't re-use the old one, those are showing backordered indefinitely"
The fact these clowns never ordered the parts 4 weeks ago when i made the appointment AND never bothered to call me before i came in to say "Hey, you might as well not even bring the truck in since we don't have the parts" is exactly why people are getting fed up with Ram.
Does anyone know any truth to this? Are these parts really this hard to find?
FWIW, I called 2 of my local dealers last week about new manifolds. Told me they are months away from getting any. One parts desk guy said November but he thinks that is very unlikely. Something about an "engineering review" on new ones?!? RockAuto has MOPAR but right side only. I see MOPAR heat shields on there for $20 for 2018's.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My local dealer keeps a set of manifolds that have been resurfaced at a local machine shop. They just swap them out on warranty claims.
I just recently learned that a couple of dealers in my area do the same thing. A good, used and seasoned exhaust manifold is probably better than a new one.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 78651 miles

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m taking my stock manifolds off my 2015 (117k) next weekend (10/21).

Happy to ship them to someone in need once I’m done.

paul howard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the dreaded exhaust tick! My shop had no issues ordering new Manifolds and gaskets for my 2016 Sport 5.7. 40K on the ODO!

I'm shocked Chrysler/Ram isnt recalling this issue!

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the dreaded exhaust tick! My shop had no issues ordering new Manifolds and gaskets for my 2016 Sport 5.7. 40K on the ODO!

I'm shocked Chrysler/Ram isnt recalling this issue!
Recalls are for safety items but I know what you mean.

It’s cheaper to fix on an as needed basis than it is to redesign and retrofit for all affected.

Noob2Trucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a set with less than 5k on them sitting in storage. I'm sure I could ship.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I have a 2019 that had the right side manifold go at 98,000Km's. Then a week or so later the left side took a S--IT! Knowing this is an issue I went and purchased a set of JBA shorty's with 16 MOPAR SRT header bolts and 3-layer gaskets and worked out a deal with my local stealership where they did the "replacements" under warranty but installed my supplied headers, hardware, and gaskets.

Holy S--IT! What an improvement in flow and torque increase.

So, I then I said F-It and went to my local custom exhaust shop and had them custom fab up a 3" SS y-pipe with flange that connected to my 3" Magnaflow cat back system... FML I cannot believe how smooth and easy my HEMI breaths now. The TQ increased again!

Anyhoo - my point is that when you look at the stock manifolds and how they choke the hell out of our HEMI's, if you can swing it, get a set of shorty headers (JBA are a great choice IMPO) and OEM header bolts and gaskets from the SRT's and you'll be happy as SH--!!!

Be warned though that installing the drivers side is a F--CK!, you or your installer will curse like a truck driver :) but the net gains are incredible with shorty headers vs. OEM cast iron garbage / choking manifolds. I also increased my fuel economy too with the new shorty's and the custom y-pipe; seriously, I did!