Redline/RP Filter Before and After

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Hey friends,

Decided to do the old 5w30 Redline oil and 20-820 Royal Purple filter combo. I'm happy with the post install psi for sure and engine is quieter. Man that clearance was a bit tight for sure but I did it. Went from 32-34 psi on the 5w20 castrol edge with mobil 1 ep filter to 42-44 psi using the new oil and filter.

Attachments

• 20220729_172926.jpg
    20220729_172926.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 20220729_173020.jpg
    20220729_173020.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 47
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Hey friends,

Decided to do the old 5w30 Redline oil and 20-820 Royal Purple filter combo. I'm happy with the post install psi for sure and engine is quieter. Man that clearance was a bit tight for sure but I did it. Went from 32-34 psi on the 5w20 castrol edge with mobil 1 ep filter to 42-44 psi using the new oil and filter.
It's the best stuff man !!!!

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mine was at 51 last pic I took, M1 0w-40 with a bit of LG, Fram XG10060 filter.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
The oil pressure on mine is between 47-50 .... since using the 20-820 filter ....

View attachment 499189

My 2017 HEMI on RL 5w/30 and using the Royal Purple 20-820 is about the same as yours at hot idle (48~49 psi).
At 70mph it is ~ 55-56 psi. My HEMI before using this oil strategy was 4-5 psi lower using Pennzoil Platinum 5w/20/30 and Mopar MO-339/899 and Purolator Boss PBL 24651.
I'm currently on my second run on the RL/RP oil strategy and the results are very quiet and smooth

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've noticed zero difference in psi by switching to the RP 20-820. I am still using PUP 0w-40 for now. When I go to redline I will see if that makes a difference. Maybe mine hasn't changed because mine is the 6.4, or maybe because I haven't switched to the redline yet?!?!

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
I've noticed zero difference in psi by switching to the RP 20-820. I am still using PUP 0w-40 for now. When I go to redline I will see if that makes a difference. Maybe mine hasn't changed because mine is the 6.4, or maybe because I haven't switched to the redline yet?!?!
Yeah the 6.4l I see that there isn't a lot if any difference

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
5.7L '18 here, was running "station" Full Syn for ~60k, just put in PP 5W-20 and STP Extended (Autozone had a deal on the filter, ordered the wrong oil). Idle for me has generally always been high 30/low 40 psi (per truck), and running low 50psi. Regardless of where I have been. (Mostly Firestone, but the occasional Havoline quick lube when Firestone was booked up.) Trying to decide now that I am "a high mileage" truck, if redline would actually improve any over PUP (if I order the right ******* oil this time...)

MartyZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 5.7l Hemi
Back when I first switched to RL I ordered the wrong Oil Filter online and had to use a WIX filter from the store to complete the oil change.
It was winter and we just got 8-10 inches of snow that night, I drove about 50-60 miles in thick snow on the expressway.
I had plowed through a few snow drifts and packed snow into every crevasse of the engine bay.
I got to my destination and when I stopped I wanted to see what the oil temperature was (curious because of the frigid temps)
I saw my Oil Pressure was at 21 PSI... :oops:
I panicked, It seemed way too low. I'm researching anything I can from my phone on low oil pressure.
It didn't help, I'm thinking equipment failure, Was Redline a bad choice?, Did I destroy my motor hitting those drifts?
I checked the PSI later and it came back up some, not much but enough to talk me off the ledge.
One thing I found was if your filter is dirty your PSI can drop.
I switched to the 20-820 RP filter and see consistent PSI of 50-55, stopped or driving.

RL+RP 4 LYFE! :headbang:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Back when I first switched to RL I ordered the wrong Oil Filter online and had to use a WIX filter from the store to complete the oil change.
It was winter and we just got 8-10 inches of snow that night, I drove about 50-60 miles in thick snow on the expressway.
I had plowed through a few snow drifts and packed snow into every crevasse of the engine bay.
I got to my destination and when I stopped I wanted to see what the oil temperature was (curious because of the frigid temps)
I saw my Oil Pressure was at 21 PSI... :oops:
I panicked, It seemed way too low. I'm researching anything I can from my phone on low oil pressure.
It didn't help, I'm thinking equipment failure, Was Redline a bad choice?, Did I destroy my motor hitting those drifts?
I checked the PSI later and it came back up some, not much but enough to talk me off the ledge.
One thing I found was if your filter is dirty your PSI can drop.
I switched to the 20-820 RP filter and see consistent PSI of 50-55, stopped or driving.

RL+RP 4 LYFE! :headbang:
do you remember if the wix was smaller? The oem size for your truck is the smaller filter, but the 20-820 is the large filter, the smaller filters have been known to throw low psi accross brands. You know I much prefer the 20-820 to anything wix has, but in this case it sounds like maybe a fualty filter or smaller filter would possibly be the issue? Would you at that time even know to order the larger wix filter or just the one that was recommended for your year ram. I think the larger filter was only recommended on 09/10 rams, maybe 11.

MartyZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 5.7l Hemi
do you remember if the wix was smaller? The oem size for your truck is the smaller filter, but the 20-820 is the large filter, the smaller filters have been known to throw low psi accross brands. You know I much prefer the 20-820 to anything wix has, but in this case it sounds like maybe a fualty filter or smaller filter would possibly be the issue? Would you at that time even know to order the larger wix filter or just the one that was recommended for your year ram. I think the larger filter was only recommended on 09/10 rams, maybe 11.
Yeah, I wanted the oversized filter when I placed the order but I selected the wrong part number ant checkout. Ended up using the tiny OEM size in a WIX to get me by.
I'm thinking a combination of cold weather, small low end filter, and potential clogging had to do with it. I haven't experienced any of these issues with the RP 20-820.

Also, fun side note;
If you add your vehicle to amazon and select the 20-820 it says it doesn't fit and then will suggest ones that "do", this is how I ended up with the wrong filter.
It also was not the right thread pattern or inlet size.
Lesson to be learned: Don't trust Amazon with car parts. ever.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah, I wanted the oversized filter when I placed the order but I selected the wrong part number ant checkout. Ended up using the tiny OEM size in a WIX to get me by.
I'm thinking a combination of cold weather, small low end filter, and potential clogging had to do with it. I haven't experienced any of these issues with the RP 20-820.

Also, fun side note;
If you add your vehicle to amazon and select the 20-820 it says it doesn't fit and then will suggest ones that "do", this is how I ended up with the wrong filter.
It also was not the right thread pattern or inlet size.
Lesson to be learned: Don't trust Amazon with car parts. ever.
In this case amazon's mistake is not knowing cross reference filters, but even ram dealerships would likely put on the smaller filters as well, which are mopar/wix. But sounds like we got your mind right now :)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So since wix is mopar, should fca have got off that smaller filter in the first place? Ram dealers have to know about this issue, fca didnt do nada in research - they "thought" they could just go smaller with no consequence. Which, I don't particularly blame them for. I mean how many people would think just moving to a smaller filter could cause such a ish storm? What I blame them for is not making a correction once it was revealed, even the filter companies are making corrections, lol? Amsoil to their credit said don't use the smaller filter in amsoil, but then recommended the small wix, lol? No, that shouldn't have been amsoil's statement, they should have said just use our ea e011, but amsoil just punted the issue and said use something else, don't really blame them either. These hemi lubrication systems are so finicky seams like everyone wants to just punt the issue, leave it to the owners to figure it out.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2010 1500 was shipped with the larger MO-899, which was used through the years I owned it. My 2014 came with the same oil filter, but a year or so later the dealer started using the MO-339 on oil changes. When I inquired I was told that the smaller filter was the new spec., and sure enough my 2019 came with the smaller filter as well.

I continue, however, to insist on the larger filter at oil changes.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 75202 miles

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
not really related but I remember when i was changing oil at a napa branded garage the filter for the 03 to 08 hemis and most dodge gas truck motors was the 21085
1 customer had an 08 3rd gen 1500 ram hemi with the metric theads it was the 27899 i believe. I found it a bit strange at the time but i didn't really think anything of it. now i wonder when they started changing the filters from imperial to metric threads. i thought it was in 09 when they updated the motor with VVT

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
not really related but I remember when i was changing oil at a napa branded garage the filter for the 03 to 08 hemis and most dodge gas truck motors was the 21085
1 customer had an 08 3rd gen 1500 ram hemi with the metric theads it was the 27899 i believe. I found it a bit strange at the time but i didn't really think anything of it. now i wonder when they started changing the filters from imperial to metric threads. i thought it was in 09 when they updated the motor with VVT
I've wondered if a guy could change the filter nipple back to the old style 3/4-16 nipple,and use the older and sometimes more common 3/4-16 filters ,instead of the 22mm-1.5 filters.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
So since wix is mopar, should fca have got off that smaller filter in the first place? Ram dealers have to know about this issue, fca didnt do nada in research - they "thought" they could just go smaller with no consequence. Which, I don't particularly blame them for. I mean how many people would think just moving to a smaller filter could cause such a ish storm? What I blame them for is not making a correction once it was revealed, even the filter companies are making corrections, lol? Amsoil to their credit said don't use the smaller filter in amsoil, but then recommended the small wix, lol? No, that shouldn't have been amsoil's statement, they should have said just use our ea e011, but amsoil just punted the issue and said use something else, don't really blame them either. These hemi lubrication systems are so finicky seams like everyone wants to just punt the issue, leave it to the owners to figure it out.

The Hemi designers that made a too-restrictive oil flow system knew.

None of the oil filter makers will supercede Chrysler's/FCA's/Stellantis' lack of correction - because their lawyers told them it is admissible in court of evidence they knew their design is flawed (likely).

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Hemi designers that made a too-restrictive oil flow system knew.

None of the oil filter makers will supercede Chrysler's/FCA's/Stellantis' lack of correction - because their lawyers told them it is admissible in court of evidence they knew their design is flawed (likely).
Is exactly why they will never admit a fault of the lifters or come out with a correction. Deny all. They learned from how GM did it. GM admitted faulty liters and they have to pay for all failed liters(not labor though). Not 100% but is my understanding

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Is exactly why they will never admit a fault of the lifters or come out with a correction. Deny all. They learned from how GM did it. GM admitted faulty liters and they have to pay for all failed liters(not labor though). Not 100% but is my understanding
GM's latest issues are pushrods now.Apparently they switched suppliers and now the 6.2 GMs are bending pushrods fairly often.The local GM dealer is stocking pushrods by the case according to my parts guy connection over there.